incubator to brooder new coturnix chicks question - ASAP

paleochick

Chirping
7 Years
Dec 2, 2012
Southern California
I am new to coturnix quail. I have new chicks (just hatched this AM) but also have four other eggs in the process of hatching. Do I wait and move all the chicks into the brooder at the same time or as they hatch?

What I guess I am trying to find out, is what is the longest time newborn chicks can stay in the incubator if I provide water (small, shallow dish with marbles) and some crushed food? My brooder has been loaned and the person can't get it back to me until tomorrow. I don't have any heat lamps and don't want to spend money if I don't have to for only 24 hours of heat.

My incubator is dome shaped with heated circulation. It has plenty of room (currently) to let the chicks walk around and the floor is a non-slip surface.

Sorry for all the questions, I tried to look up the answers in the forums but couldn't find these specific questions/answers.

Julie

They can go about 24 hours without food. Once they all hatch you'll need to remove as much humidity as possible if you want to turn the incubator into a temporary brooder.

Back
Top Bottom