Incubator to brooder

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Little Buffs, Mar 2, 2017.

1. Little Buffs

Little Buffs Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2017
    Haverhill,Suffolk,UK
    Hi everyone, this is mine and my partners first time at hatching chicks. We have a incubator which has the light bulb and I'm worried my chicks are going to burn their heads. So far we only have two chicks that have hatched last night and a couple more eggs which have pipped. I'm not sure when to move my chicks as I don't want them to get burnt, their buff Orpington's so are very tall which is my main worry. Thank you in advance [​IMG]

2. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Chicken Obsessed

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    I take chicks out as they dry...but not everybody does. The humidity can drop. If you're careful and fast, it should be ok though.

3. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

You will get many opinions.....I take my babies out as soon as they are dry enough and pop into the Brooder.....Be quick as you open the incubator and all is fine.....

Congrats on the Chicks

Cheers!

4. Little Buffs

Mar 2, 2017
    Haverhill,Suffolk,UK
    Thank you we have taken them both out to give the others more of a chance. One of our chicks has sadly got splay legs but should be ok when we fix it. Thank you for your congratulations we are hoping a couple more will hatch now the humidity is back up and the others are out of the way.

5. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Chicken Obsessed

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    Wonderful! Sorry to hear about the splay leg, but it sounds like you already know what to do?

6. chickens really

That's great....Best wishes......

Cheers!.....:)

7. suliah

suliah Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2014
    Muskegon, MI
    I take mine out as soon as they are hatched... I find that they take forever to dry in the incubator with the humidity up and they knock all the other eggs around while they're flopping about. I've never lost one from doing this, and I have a much higher hatch rate by taking them out than when I have left them in the incubator.

8. Little Buffs

Mar 2, 2017
    Haverhill,Suffolk,UK
    Thank you everyone, I believe we should have taken them out a bit sooner as the eggs that are still in there are not making any progress. Fingers crossed

9. chickens really

Are your air cells in the right position to pip and zip?.....The other Chicks possibly knocked them over......

Cheers!

10. Little Buffs

Mar 2, 2017
    Haverhill,Suffolk,UK
    Yes I think they were they have both hatched and are chirping away.. we just have one more that is a possibility. But ATM we have 4 out of 6 [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by