Incubator too cold?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CarpCharacin, Sep 30, 2016.

1. CarpCharacin

CarpCharacin Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2016
    Salt Lake City, UT
    I got a cheap chinese incubator to hatch some ayam cemani eggs. It holds 7 eggs and I put all 7 eggs into the incubator. The eggs came in the mail yesterday and I put them in. I have been turning them 3 times a day. It is set to 38 degrees Celsius and it has been saying that. I moved the temperature probe put by the eggs and it said it was only 32 degrees Celsius. Do the eggs still have a chance of hatching, or should I toss them?

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Don't toss them, but also mail sent eggs are not always successful to hatch. Your percentage of hatch usually is lower than if you got your eggs locally or from your hens. Have read posts of only one from a dozen or none in some cases. You can try some of your own eggs as a test if they are fertile in the future. This way you can tell if incubator is working properly. Many peeps candle their eggs on day 7 to see if there is progress.
    WISHING YOU BEST.. [​IMG]
    Ps. I wanted to get a Ayam cemani, just one hen, as ornamental addition to my small flock of pets.

3. CarpCharacin

Aug 17, 2016
    Salt Lake City, UT
    I candled one and there is something inside that moves around when I move the egg. I think it might be developing. I don't have any roosters so I can't hatch eggs from my hens. I hope I hatch at least 1 rooster and 2 hens so then I will have a trio.

4. CarpCharacin

Aug 17, 2016
    Salt Lake City, UT
    I have been canding the eggs and on most of them, the yolks have became visible, but I don't see any blood vessels.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by