1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

incubator too high lead to death?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ducklover87, May 6, 2013.

1. ducklover87

ducklover87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2012
    I posted in the thread formerly known as hatch day is today. But sometimes with all the excitment things get over looked and I'm very worried about my babies. Last night when turning the eggs before bed (10:15) and for the last time as today is the beginning of lockdown I noticed that my thermometers said it was 107°! I'm not sure how long it had been like that as when I checked it at like 2 or 3 o clock when I turned them it was fine. I'm hoping that they are OK but when I candled I saw no movement at all. Its been harder for me to see in them these last few days anyway but I can usually see some sort of movement at least most of the time. I turned the incubator down and its been holding a steady temp. I'm not sure what happened as my incubator has held the same temp through the whole thing. Do you think they will be OK? I'm hoping they were just sleeping. I've been trying to stay positive and been telling my bf that ducks hatch eggs in like Texas and stuff and I doubt that it stays 99.5 under the hen in like 110° weather or higher.

2. polarbearpilot

polarbearpilot Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2012
    Don't give up. My incubator got up to 106F for about 1hr. They hatched about 1-2 days early, 17 chicks out of 18 eggs. However, 2 of them have bad legs.

3. ducklover87

Aug 7, 2012
    Wow that's a great hatch rate. I guess I will keep a close eye on them. Hopefully they hatch like yours did. Do you think the bad legs was due to the temp?

4. shicks0211

shicks0211 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2012
    Orlando Florida
    yeah, be patient..sometimes when you candle them you don't see them move when it's at this stage..they should be pipping soon..they may hatch a tad early...I doubt the bad legs would be caused by the heat..niacin deficiency? not sure what they mean by bad legs..like a deformity, or just weak?

5. polarbearpilot

Dec 30, 2012
    My guess would be yes, although I don't know for sure. This was my first time hatching, and I did it in a homemade incubator.

6. ducklover87

Aug 7, 2012
    Thank you for the encouragement I really thought I'd lost them esp when I candled and saw no movement. This may be a dumb question but how do you tell when it internally pips? Can u see it when you candle?

7. polarbearpilot

Dec 30, 2012
    When I candled for the last time, I saw movements in half of the eggs, and none in the other half. I am not sure what you mean by internal pipping. Is it when the beak breaks into the airsack? If so, I didn't see any of it.

I realy hope you get at least a few chicks. Good luck.

8. ducklover87

Aug 7, 2012
    Yes that's what I mean. I'm assuming you'd only be able to see it if you candle but not sure on that. Me too thanks!

9. shicks0211

shicks0211 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2012
    Orlando Florida
    internal pipping is when you candle the egg..and at the air sack..you'll see the shadow of his beak..and at this point you'll hear him peeping..if you put the egg up to your ear..you'll hear them pecking and nibbling on the shell..

10. ducklover87

Aug 7, 2012
    Oh that's so cool. I'm thinking you'd have to do this fast as I've read a million times not to open the incubator during lockdown.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by