Incubator too High

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by itsbob, Aug 6, 2013.

1. itsbob

itsbob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2013
    Had all my eggs (chicken and duck) in the same incubator.. the Khakis were on the first couple of hours the rest (to include some Pekin) their second day. I noticed the temp was low, slightly below 99 and I turned the knob no more than 1/8th of a turn (estimated) but turned it as little as I could.

An hour maybe two go by before I check again and right away notice both vent plugs are in and check the temp close to 110. I take the cover off and cool the inside of the incubator as quick as I can but still worried.. I've read elsewhere 110 may as well just toss all of the eggs.

So now I'm worried, and nervous.. now I'm day 6 for the chicken eggs and I candled them last night. The chicken eggs look great, a mass in the middle with spider veins branching out.. the duck eggs? They look like they did the first time I candled them on day 3.. a large dark mass in the egg, no veins.. no tiny mass within the dark mass.

Have I lost all of my ducks?

2. itsbob

itsbob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2013
    Think I'm in luck.. looks like all the "adopted" duck eggs are infertile..

All but one Khaki egg are showingnsigns of life and can even a ee heartbeats in.most of them.. chickens are even further along..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by