Incubator too hot

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kbbcass, Mar 1, 2015.

1. kbbcass

kbbcass Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2015
    Very worried. I set up my incubator yesterday and let it run all day. Temp was steady at 101. Have a still air incubator. Checked it at 11pm last night and temp was still at 101. Got up this am and low and behold it was reading 108. Did I ruin the batch? I can't believe this happened!! I immediately opened the lid and turned temp down.

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    It's too early to tell, and it would depend on how long the temperature was that high - the eggs actually heat up more slowly than the air, so there's a chance they might not have reached the internal temperature that would kill them if you caught it fast enough. I've had eggs survive temp spikes up to 113 degrees when caught soon enough, so don't give up hope! Leave them in until day five or so, at which point you should be able to candle and see if any made it.

Also, the temp spike was caused because, unfortunately, the Styrofoam type incubators aren't really that good at holding a temp steady and adding eggs actually changes the temperature as compared to it being empty - each egg is acting as a little heat sink and holding heat where nothing was before, and the incubator does not compensate for this, leading to temp spikes. That's why it's good to get it up to temperature full of nonfertile store bought eggs, or keep a really close eye on it and adjust as needed after adding eggs. Not your fault, there's no warning in any of the instructions about this.

Good luck and I hope they all make it!

3. kbbcass

kbbcass Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2015
    That is some really great advice! Thank you. I didn't think of that. Next time I will do that. I will candle at 5 days and see.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by