Incubator transformer/fan question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by shelleyb1969, Sep 13, 2008.

1. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

I just built my first homemade bator following MissPrissy's guidelines. I FINALLY found a thermostat! [​IMG] YIPPEEEE! Anyway, the transformer I have says:
    I/P 120V AC
    O/P 12V AC
    All the posts I've read say that you need a DC output. I wired this transformer to my pc fan, and it's working great. But it does seem a little strong. Is that where the DC part comes in? Will this completely mess up everything? [​IMG]

2. shelleyb1969

Do I need to find a DC output transformer instead?

3. erthymom2

erthymom2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    i got a used cordless phone AC charger and splised the wires like the diagram sait in the chick bator thread. it worked fine and never overheated or konked out.

4. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Quote:If you have a PC fan then you need a transformer with a 12V DC output.

If you get one with an adjustable output, the fan will run all the way from 7V to about 16V .... all that will change is the speed of the fan. If you connect it the wrong way round it will just run backwards.

5. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Check your fan. You must have an AC fan. A DC fan should not run at all on AC. It
    would just vibrate.

Twigg answered all the other questions well. You must have old AC adaptors hanging
    around the house.

6. shelleyb1969

Quote:I just checked my fan...it says 12v DC on it.

7. shelleyb1969

Here's pics of both my fan and my transformer. The fan works perfect. Since this is wired this way, should I be concerned about an electrical fire or any other hazard? I've never wired anything before.

Michelle

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 13, 2008
  8. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    [​IMG]

If nothing is getting too hot than you won't have a fire hazard.

Find an adaptor with 9 volts DC out and see how it works. You don't need a fan
    blowing a lot of air, just enough to move it around.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by