Incubator troubles... UPDATE!!!!... added pics

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Cavendish Chickens, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Cavendish Chickens

Cavendish Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Summit County, Ohio
    Okay, I have an LG 9200 Series. I know it's not the best, and I have used it before. BUT... For some reason I am getting bad readings on the humidity. I have the digital thermometer/hygrometer comb. You cannot take it apart for the salt test or anything. I know because I looked it up, and since it's digital you can't do it. The last time I used this kind of incubator, I filled the resevoirs (sp) and it was fine for days 1-18, then added a bowl of water to bring humidity up for days 19-21. Worked fine. Same digital thermometer/hygrometer combo. I didn't think the old one was working right, so we bought a new one, and it too is reading a low humidity. I have THREE bowls of water, plus the reseviors (sp) filled with water. AND BOTH vent plugs in, which during days 1-18 last time I only needed one, then added the second the last three days. When I open the incubator, my hand immediately gets damp. It seems to me that there is plenty of humidity, but I'm scared what if I'm wrong. SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP ME! What should I do? I just bought the incubator yesterday, figured I'd be able to put my eggs in today... and this is going on. And yes, the temperature is reading properly. So why is the temp right, and not the humidity. ARGH!!!!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Very stressed!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
  2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    You can calibrate a digital hygrometer the same way you do any other kind - no need to take it apart. Just put the salt/water in a mug or bowl, put that in a ziploc bag and put the hygrometer in the bag as well. Zip it closed, leave it for 24 hours and read it. If it reads 75%, it is perfectly calibrated. Any other reading, and you will know how much to adjust it up or down to obtain the correct reading.

3. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Well first off remove the bowls. The containers need to be rectangular, and since humidity is based off of surface area not volume a sponge or a small tupaware container will work good.

4. Cavendish Chickens

Apr 24, 2010
    Summit County, Ohio
    The dishes are Tupperware. I use Tupperware for everything. Used to sell it. I don't have any sponges. I may try to calibrate as mentioned above. I just hate waiting so long to put them in. The big egg, and two of the others having been waiting since Thursday, and the other two since yesterday. (I know that's not long egg wise... but it is to me... [​IMG] )

5. gumbii

gumbii Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    why don't you just use the stock channels, and put a clean wet terry towel over them to raise humidity..?

6. Cavendish Chickens

Apr 24, 2010
    Summit County, Ohio
    What are stock channels?

7. gumbii

gumbii Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    i dunno... my friend's hovabator has water channels that go under the metal mesh screen... i'm not sure if the LG's have the same kind of deal...

i had to use a lid for a salad from walmart for my incubator... it's like 10"x10" and holds an inch of water... but raises the humidity at 65% when full... i'm gonna use it for lock down...

8. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Hiya! I have a cheat sheet on my BYC page- I use paper towels to raise my humidity, and I don't use a hygrometer anymore.

I fill the channels in the bottom of the incubators with rolled-up paper towels, then lay one on top of the wire, so the water in the channels wicks up into the one on the wire. This will always be high enough, regardless of whether you have a hygrometer telling you so.

I quit worrying about any gauge telling me if things were okay, as this works fine as long as the paper towels stay damp.

Read my BYC page for more help, or pm me.

Good luck!

9. Cavendish Chickens

Apr 24, 2010
    Summit County, Ohio
    Took out dishes and put in 5 sponges. Hope it works.... [​IMG]

10. Jessiewoodard57

Jessiewoodard57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2010
    Bushnell, FL.
    The stock channels are the square channel and the 2 short ones (one on each side of the square channel)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by