Incubator Type?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bigredfeather, Dec 19, 2008.

1. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    I am considering buying an incubator for small time, home use. I've done some looking online at various models. Are the 50 egg, styrofoam type worth buying? Or is it better to buy a more costly one that will be more effective and last longer?

I'd appreciate any information and expiriences people have.

Thanks.

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I have a Hova Cirulated Air 1583 model with turner that I have had for over a year now that I like alot. Still looks as good as the day I bought it and I have hatched over 300 chicks in it alone. As long as you take good care and clean them well after hatches I see no problems with them. I like mine and it runs perfect from day one.

3. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    I agree...get the circulated air it is worth it as is the egg turner...

4. UrbanMama

UrbanMama Gone Country....

Sep 27, 2008
    Massachusetts
    It depends on what you are planning on using it for. You mentioned small time...how many eggs at one time do you want to incubate?

Personally, I love my Hovabator 1588 Genesis w/ turner. I can set the eggs, add water and more or less forget it's there until time to put them in the hatcher. After hatching several chicks from it, I can say it's very reliable!

However, if you have the money to invest, and plan on hatching for a long time to come...check out the Brinsea 40. [​IMG] I've heard excellent things about it...I just couldn't fork out that kind of money right now. Maybe in the future, I'll buy that for a bator and use the Genesis as a hatcher.... [​IMG]

The other one that is raved about and well-loved is the Sportsman by GQF. So many choices! [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 19, 2008
  5. bigredfeather

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    I would be wanting to incubate 2-3 dozen eggs at a time, twice a year.

6. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Then a good Hova Cirulated model is all you would need, but remember hatching chicks becomes an addiction [​IMG] [​IMG]

If your not into hand turning the eggs it would be best to get the turner to go with one.

7. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    I have an Little Giant 9200. Love it. It's a still-air, I bought the automatic turner (and if you know you can't keep track of turning 3x a day- go for it) . I can hatch 41 eggs at a time.

Now, if I had to do it over again... I would probably instead get the circulated air model (still little giant) because I have to monitor the humidity daily. But the turner is a definite!

But, my hatches are still from 80-90%

I would highly recommend also buying from walmart a Springfield digital hygrometer- it has both temp and humidity on it, and it's less than $7...that way you can monitor the humidity.

Good Luck!!
    Christina

8. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    Quote:Now, there is an understatement! [​IMG]
    Christina

9. bigredfeather

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Laskaland, is this the Little Giant they sell at TSC?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by