1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Incubator versus hen

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by baby peanut, Mar 6, 2014.

1. baby peanut

baby peanut Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2013
    Columbia, CT.
    I need some advice. I will be receiving 6 polish frizzle eggs in the mail in a couple of days. I have silkies ,one of which is broody right now and has been in nesting box for more than a couple of days already. Can I incubate the eggs half way then put them under my hen closer to hatching time (if she is still broody) I am worried about a couple of things.The temperatures are still pretty cold here (35-40) , I really wanted to have my hen hatch them herself (I feel so bad taking her eggs from under her) I was thinking it might be a more natural way of integrating new chicks to the flock. Another option would be to let her hatch her OWN eggs and wait and see if another silkie becomes broody and finish incubating frizzle eggs under the broody hen? Help:(

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Has she ever hatched chicks or been broody before, do you know how well she sits? I've done that with eggs, at various stages... if she is a good broody you can put the real eggs under her at any stage, or even the hatched chicks. I do try to time it so the chicks hatch at a reasonable time (iow, don't put hatched chicks under a broody that has been sitting three days). Shipped eggs don't like to put them right under the broody because I usually leave them sit a couple of days before turning to be surer of the air cells. And since they have a lower hatch % anyhow, like to candle them first to double check how the air cells are developing and to get rid of clears. Just leave a couple of fake eggs under the broodies until you give them the real eggs. From what you said, even if you let her hatch her own eggs now, you are only talking a few extra days to wait for the shipped eggs, so not sure it would make any difference. I would be inclined to give her a few of her own eggs though the day you set the frizzle eggs, in case you have a poor hatch rate from them, that way you have a few extra chicks if you only wind up with one or two frizzle chicks.

3. baby peanut

baby peanut Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2013
    Columbia, CT.
    Thank you for the info, none of my hens have ever hatched their own yet, this will hopefully be the first time. My silkies SO WANT to be mothers[​IMG]. One more question, when I get shipped eggs I let them sit at room temp then candle them? What should they look like if they are still good to incubate?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by