Incubator was at 96-97, will eggs hatch? Success stories?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LoriAS, Apr 7, 2009.

1. LoriAS

LoriAS Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2009
    New Knoxville, Ohio
    My concern here is obvious. My eggs candled on day 18 with only the air pocket being able to be seen. Candling on day 8 showed some veining in them as well.

Will they hatch if the 'bator has been at these temps the entire time. I purchased a digital thermometer today and the readings were between 96 and 97 not the 99.5 that the regular merc thermometer has been reading for the last 19 days!!!

2. tellynpeep

tellynpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    SW New Hampshire
    The digital thermometer isn't necessarily more accurate than the mercury one. Good luck, and let us know what hatches.

3. crazy for chicken

crazy for chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Voorheesville
    yes they should give them time [​IMG]

4. LoriAS

Apr 6, 2009
    New Knoxville, Ohio
    I'm just a mess! [​IMG] This is my first hatch ever! I know I've made some crazy blunders. I just keep hoping for the best because I've read some crazy stories about successful hatches here.

I'm banking on the fact that they eggs are received from local growers/friends and were not roughly handled or travelled far.

I supposed we just have to obsess during the wait! [​IMG]

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Put both into an ice bath and see which one is closer to 32F... Digital is not always better since even though it can be precise, it does not imply accuracy.

6. Chicktastic

Chicktastic Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2009
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I think it will be ok. My 'bator was all over the place this hatch. I have everyone hatching right now. It may just take them a day or so longer.

7. chickenlove2009

chickenlove2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Woodlawn, Tn
    they should hatch it will just take longer.

I found out mine was at 95 degrees when i thought it was at 100.

I bought a new digital thermometer and i know have the bator set at 98.4 - 99.8. while the murcery one reads 106.

The reason i bough the new one was because the babies look like they should be on day 10ish not day 15.

good luck with yours

8. LoriAS

Apr 6, 2009
    New Knoxville, Ohio
    Thanks to everyone. I'm not sure I would have done this had I known what a wreck I was going to be during these last few days of the hatching process.

Is this insane or what?

9. littlelemon

littlelemon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2007
    Ohio
    How is the hatch going?

10. LoriAS

Apr 6, 2009
    New Knoxville, Ohio
    Nothing yet, but I'm not getting excited yet. I put them in the bator in the evening (about this time) 21 days ago. I think I'll have some little ones tomorrow or Friday!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by