incubator went berzerk. . . 120 degrees!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sumatra, Jul 25, 2010.

1. sumatra

sumatra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    NW PA
    Of course it was full. There are 15 duck eggs and 100+ bobwhite eggs. I use 2 thermometers-- one is a new digital and the other is an old 1950's model metal dial. It runs a few degrees low but is an excellent back-up. The digital read 101.5 last night, but the old thermometer was at its usual 96. Today I found it at 120 and 111. Is there any chance for the eggs inside? I candled last night and the ducks were just becoming visible. The quail are a little older and are at that immobile blob stage. They are difficult to candle, so I only did a few. I reset the electronic thermosat (it is a model 1588) and now on its lowest setting it is at 101. I think is because the warranty jus ran out. I am worried that the temp. will keep rising, no matter what setting it is on. Does anyone know of anyhing I can do? I thought maybe it got dirty or too humid or something, but I don't know.

2. jellybean

jellybean Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Bellevue, ID
    Can you order a new thermostat or get one locally and try that? It seems like it must be bad to let the temp get that high. I am not an experienced incubator or anything, but I would do your best to keep the temp steady for a few days and see what happens. Some might make it anyway. Some eggs just seem to be hardier than others. My duck egg hatching now shouldn't be alive, she will be a tough one if she makes it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by