Incubator went out overnight

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by larwilli2000, May 6, 2017.

1. larwilli2000

larwilli2000 Just Hatched

May 5, 2017
    Hello,
    I've got a crisis and could use some help. I'm a first timer and I set my eggs at different stages (yes, I know better now). I have 2 Silkie eggs that were due to hatch yesterday. I also have three Silkie eggs that are on day 18, and 4 Silkies that are on day 13. Lastly, I have 5 Runner duck eggs on day 13 of 28. One Silkie hatched fine yesterday. The other Silkie that is due to hatch pipped early yesterday morning. I heard chirping all day and saw a little bit of rocking. I tried very hard to stay away from the incubator this morning after sneaking a peak and seeing no change. When I went back about 30 minutes ago, I found the temperature at about 72 degrees. The incubator has gone out. I have a new one on its way and I'm currently standing over a heat lamp (in a humid bathroom) with eggs under it to keep them a bit warmer, but not above 101. The hatching chick isn't moving and I'm assuming that it has died. Should I take it out to see or warm it up? What about the other eggs? Will they survive? I am crushed. The fan still blows but the incubator doesn't heat.

2. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    Can you replace the heating element with a 40watt light bulb?

3. larwilli2000

May 5, 2017
    I held them under a heat lamp with a thermometer while I waited for a replacement incubator. Now I've received the new incubator and set it up and the eggs are all inside. The pipped egg didn't make it and I'm quite concerned about those that are due next. The eggs were cold to the touch when I found them :(

4. larwilli2000

May 5, 2017
    I wanted to update everyone as I know how frustrating it can be to not know the answer. Unfortunately, all of the eggs were lost. There was one Silkie that hatched two days before the incubator went out. He/She survived but none of the others did. They ranged from internally pipped, externally pipped and halfway through the incubation process. I'm guessing that the bator was out for at least 12 hours. Crushing loss..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by