incubator went up to 103....

Discussion in 'Quail' started by City Chicken, Jan 29, 2013.

1. City Chicken

City Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2012
    incubator went up to 103....
    briefly i think because it was steady before that- we went from very cold temps (even though we are inside) to warmer again.
    so maybe that's why.

i am wondering if all is lost?

would be a real bummer because this is my 9 yr old sons project and he will be very bummed. only 8-9 days to go!! we can't loose them now!!

2. animalsrock123

animalsrock123 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2013
    I've heard that embryos can survive high temps for as long as a few hours. Also what king of incubator do you have, still air or forced air? Still air incubators are usually not as dangerous in the high temps as forced air incubators. Hope all goes well and you guys have a good hatch!

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    X2...the embryo's can survive too warm or too cold for a short period of time without losses or damage to the growing chick. These sort of things do happen with incubators. As long as it does not happen regularly, you should be ok. :)

4. Bobby65

Bobby65 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2012
    Sw ranches fl
    Good luck with the hatch i hope all are ok. I moved mine one day for a party and forgot to plug it back in [​IMG]

5. City Chicken

Aug 25, 2012
    thanks all... hoping all goes well!! can't really candle quail eggs... too thick to see through.

6. laseterlass

laseterlass Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    Just watch the temps close. Mine do it all the time.

7. WalkingNorth

WalkingNorth Out Of The Brooder

Mine hit just over 102 for an hour or so during incubation and they still hatched

Good luck :)

8. Kylesquails

Kylesquails Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2012
    Australia
    i find with candling mine is if the light doesn't shine through if its fertile, try candling a newly layed egg compared to a fertile egg you,ll see the difference:)

1 person likes this.
  9. laseterlass

laseterlass Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    I had an unpainted coturnix egg and finally got to see an airsack! I was so excited.

10. City Chicken

Aug 25, 2012
    just had a storm and 6 hour power outage!!!!! :(

tried to keep them warm.... put them in warm oven for awhile. but their temp did drop to around 75 for awhile- a few hours. the power is finally back on. are they toast? i am so bummed for my son... he is totally bummed that he might have lost them. i don't know.... this is hard.
    i'm up at 2:36am because the power is back on and i got them back in... but who knows if there is hope.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by