1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Incubator: What's more important? Fan kit or egg turner? :)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LittleMoon, Apr 21, 2012.

1. LittleMoon

LittleMoon Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2011
    I'm going to get an incubator, one on ebay has turner, one has fan. What should i pick and why? Thanks!

2. judsenn

judsenn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2012
    i have neither, I turn them by hand. So if you can't dedicate turning them at least 3 times a day for the next 21-25 days I'd go with the turner. :)

3. LittleMoon

Apr 4, 2011
    Thank you :) I think I may decide on a hova bator with fan kit. How hard is it to put in fan?

4. judsenn

Apr 11, 2012
    Can't answer this one. I recently bought an automatic egg turner to put in my LG but I couldn't figure out how to install it, so I returned it. LOL (plus my turkey eggs didn't fit in it. )

5. judsenn

Apr 11, 2012
    ...oh and they sell incubators at Fleet Farm and TSC for like $40

6. fishman65

fishman65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    flat rock
    A fan is more important than a turner. A fans main purpose is to move air and keep temps steady. You can turn eggs 3 times a day by hand so a turner is not important. 'Without a fan you will have to raise temp 2 degrees to adjust for cold spots in the incubator. Installing a fan is very easy.

7. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I would go with fan and tilt the bator two or three times a day rather going in to turn it LOL! I even have a broken egg turner, so I just put the eggs in there and tilt the bator without opening it.

8. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    Definitely go with the fan over the turner. An incubator with a fan will hold a steadier temperature than a still air incubator and that should, in theory, lead to fewer hatch problems. Turning by hand isn't that hard, and if you're anything like me you'll be in there checking on the eggs and temperature and humidity at least three times a day anyway.

9. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Fan kit. And the 40$ incubator is a little giant - not close to the quality of a hova bator.

10. LittleMoon

Apr 4, 2011
    Thanks for your input :) I heard hova was best than LG are junk so thats why im picking hova. There is one on this web site for 85$ total with shipping that comes with fan kit :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by