Incubator wiring problem

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Gatekeeper, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Louisiana
    I have converted a freezer into an incubator. The thermo is wired to the pilot lite that is wired to the light out of the light the wire goes to the plug. I know the wiring is right, pilot light comes on and the thermostat clicks on and off - but the light wont come on. If it wasnt wired correctly the circut wouldnt turn on the pilot lite or the thermo, right? On the light fixture there are two gold and two silver screws where you attach the wire. I placed one wire to one side of the lamp then the other wire to the rest that has the pilot light and thermostat. What could I be doing wrong? Did I need to attach one wire to BOTH of the silver screws and one wire to BOTH gold screws?

Gate

2. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Quote:With most thermostats, the light (heater) would be wired across the terminals marked *Load*, mains power wired across *Line* or *Supply*.

The indicator lamp would have one wire going to Load, and one to Ground.

3. Gatekeeper

Apr 24, 2008
    Louisiana
    Twig thanks but this is a wafer thermo. The wafer thermostat comes on, the pilot light comes on but not the light Im using for heat ... I tried rewiring the porcelain light base, different bulbs - nothing.

Gate

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  4. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Quote:Check out GQF website. There may be a wiring diagram for the Hovabator that would help.

5. Gatekeeper

Apr 24, 2008
    Louisiana
    TY Twigg

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by