1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Incubator with a hot water thermostat question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CrazyFarmHusband, Jan 25, 2010.

1. CrazyFarmHusband

CrazyFarmHusband Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2010
    Sterling, CT
    I've been reading that alot of you on the site are using hot water heater thermostats. I have a question about that. Does it make a difference that it shuts down for 10 degrees before it comes back up. Another words my incubator gets to 100 degrees shuts down till the tempature hits 90 degrees then comes back on. It does not take along time but was wondering if that drop will cause any problems.

Thanks [​IMG]

2. thumbless

thumbless Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2009
    Mesa AZ
    I used that with mine (the one I built) I had one good hatch, and one bad one.

I don't use mine now.

3. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

Assuming you are using a light for heat...

If you put the thermostat an light on one end real close together it will get rid of that issue. Say something like 2 inches from each other with the flat side of the thermostat aimed at the light.

4. CrazyFarmHusband

CrazyFarmHusband Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2010
    Sterling, CT
    Yeah their pretty close together now Just trying to find out if anyone else has the same set up and any problems. Incubator is in lock down mode and hoping everything will be fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by