incubator woes... suggestions...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by City Chicken, Jan 31, 2013.

1. City Chicken

City Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2012
    so, last night we had a bad storm and power outage for 6 hours.

Quail eggs:
    i kept them warm by wrapping the bator in a blanket- but as the temp went down- i put the eggs in a warm oven (it was about 100 degrees, leftover heat from baking earlier that day).
    they got down to 75 degrees for a couple hours. then the power came back on and the bator came back on... but the temp went too high- because i had to move the location due to heat loss last night. this morning it was at 103-104.
    sigh. any hope?? these are my sons quail eggs- his first project. man.... so bummed. they had 7 days to go i think.

Chicken eggs:
    i set them last night and they got to 99.5.... then the power outage- went 'cold' (probably 65) then were heated back up in the bator to 103-104...
    should i assume they are toast and start over?
    there were 19- such a waste!!! MAN!!!

you do everything you can... but you still can't control the weather!

2. Pinky Macgyver

Pinky Macgyver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2012
    I wouldn't give up on them yet. I dunno about quail eggs but chicken eggs should be fine at 104. Also, apparently there's some evidence that eggs can benefit from a cooling period each day as in nature the hen would get up to eat etc. Either way, give em a few days and candle. :)

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    As long as they were not at the higher temperature for too long they should be O.K. It takes awhile for the egg's core temperature to go up or down. Hopefully you were in the safe timezone [​IMG]

4. City Chicken

Aug 25, 2012
    i hope so!!!! my son is so bummed that they might be toast. feel so bad for him.

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I really, really hope they are o.k. in there! Candle them in a day or 2 and let us know how it goes.

6. City Chicken

Aug 25, 2012
    i will.
    man, this is like a soap opera with all the ups and downs!!!
    i think i will wait a week to candle the chicken eggs because they are brown and at 3 days i couldn't see a membrane- when there was one.
    the quail eggs are supposed to hatch in 5-6 days... so we will know sooner on those.
    so bummed to lose tiny little lives and for my son it's just a huge let down after all this preparation and waiting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by