1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Incubator? would a medical incubator work?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by klf73, Jul 20, 2008.

1. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    OK , would a medical incubator work for eggs? Dh says no way for the simple fact alone we don't know where it's been, but I was curious. Here's a pic

Krista
    [​IMG]

2. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    i medical incubator used to heat up cultures? If so I personally might be a little concerned about ickies that could be in there, however, im sure theres some cleaner in the world good enough to kill almost all nasties...couldnt a good bleaching help? Theres this stuff called Vanodine that's used for animal cleanings and kennel cleanigns that is supposedly better than bleach, it's kind of expesnive but it's a concintrate and lasts forever. I will be getting it again soon for my incubator use. [​IMG] Other than that, as logn as it heats to the reccomended heating and you get it rrrreally clean i dont see why you couldnt just give it a try. Worst that could happen is muntant chicks?!?! HA AH soo just kidding. [​IMG]

Niki

3. chick_newbie

chick_newbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    South Dakota
    I agree about cleaning it very well. Most generally, there shouldn't be many bacteria or yeast in the incubator itself unless it wasn't used properly. Most of the time the plates are not just left in there without a cover, so bleach would probably work but the kennel cleaner might be better. I was thinking about an incubator like that, but figured that everyone would get upset if I put my eggs in the incubator at work!!! I assume that you can only open one door i you needed to check and turn if not using a turner? Does it just have shelves inside? You are so lucky to have the availablity of the incubator you have. I wish I had it.

Jill
    lab technician

4. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

it would probably work better at keeping humidity and temperatures because of the fact that it IS a medical incubator.

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Go for it. If you can get the temps right, should work great. Those machines can be thousands upon thousands each and if maintained, some can hold temp to the .1 degree. Kind of looks like a plastics autoclave to me but lots of old lab stuff looks the same.

I wouldn't worry about bacteria and other junk that could be in there. Most common bacteria strains in labs are so line bred that they couldn't survive real life, much less being out of the ideal temps, humidity, and growth media for a few days.

6. priszilla

priszilla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    easley sc
    what about ventilation?

7. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    I don't think there is any organism that can live in full strength bleach, just be sure to completely air it out in fresh air and in the sun after cleaning.

be sure it will have ventilation, if not, drill some holes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by