Incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by perfectchristmas, Apr 23, 2008.

1. perfectchristmas

perfectchristmas New Egg

Apr 10, 2008
    Phillipsburg NJ
    This novice is looking to buy an incubator. Only have 4 hens I want to breed, right now. I anticipate breeding them is as much fun as having them so my flock will grow. What features should I invest in, for now and the future. eg.
    moving air, humidity control, turner? If temp and humidity is so important can I open the incubator to turn the eggs manually? Can I add more fertile eggs to the ones already in the incubator? When eggs hatch do the chicks change the atmosphere in the incubator? How soon do the chicks have to be removed? Thanks for any advice.

2. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Incubator choice will really depend on your budget. A small incubator can cost you between $75.00 on up to $500.00 for something that will handle 20 - 40 eggs.

Best buy for your dollar, in a small incubator, is the hova genesis 1588.

Staggerring hatches can be very problematic until you get some experience and have a second incubator to use as a hatcher. Best to set all eggs at the same time.

You can manually turn, but I would always recommend a turner unless you have the time to devote to the job. They are worth the few dollars you pay for one.

When chicks hatch there will be an increase in humidity in the incubator. Chicks can stay in the incubator until they dry out and could remain for up to 3 days in reality. After that I have seen them come in contact with the heating element and suffer for it. You will find most people remove the chicks once they are ALL dry and put them in a brooder.

3. perfectchristmas

perfectchristmas New Egg

Apr 10, 2008
    Phillipsburg NJ
    Thank you. Your information is valuable.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by