incubator..

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Travis91, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Travis91

Travis91 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2011
    Im trying to decide on a incubator.. i want something with automatic turner, circulated air, and the ability to do duck and chicken eggs. Ive looked at the Styrofoam ones and they seem alright.. but they say it makes a huge difference if the room has a steady temperature. how steady does it need to be? and im not against building one i just havent found a design i like.. i liked the ones with the side by side refrigerator but i would like something more medium sized to start out with.

2. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    Brinsea ECO 20. It's great for the money. I have had great hatches. Very stable temp.

[​IMG]

3. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    [​IMG] I was also thinking about a brinsea ECO 20 [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  4. BusyBlonde

BusyBlonde Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    Bessemer City, NC
    Quote:x2! Easy, steady temperatures, easy to regulate humidity - LOVE it!

5. Faerytalefarm

Faerytalefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Quote:I have two LG's going in my house and it does not take much of a drop or rise in the temps to effect the temps and humidity in the bators. I cannot stand mine! They are the most high maintenance things and totally not worth messing with! I just ordered a Brinsea Octagon 20 Advance EX, after doing a good deal of research.

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG] You do need to put the incubators in a room or area that can be closed off as room temperature fluctuations will affect the incubator. I know of some people who keep their incubators in their closets. It also depends on how many eggs you want to hatch. I do staggered hatches so my incubator always has eggs in it. I have a GQF Sportsman cabinet incubator I incubate in and I use my LG and Hova-Bator styrofoam incubators to hatch in. Check places like Craigslist. I saw a Sportsman cabinet the other day on there in my area for $300.00 From the picture they posted it looked to be in good condition.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  7. Travis91

Nov 3, 2011
    we have one guest room we dont go into much but there is a large bay window in it so the temp does change according to outside.

8. bikerchic

bikerchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2011
    Virginia
    Brinsea is so user friendly. I loved mine so much I am expecting a second one today! [​IMG]

9. Travis91

Nov 3, 2011
    is there a way to make one that will be better than a styrofoam one? my dad has carpentry skills so building something wouldnt be a proplem.

10. Travis91

Nov 3, 2011
    what about a gqf 1202? i can get one of those for less than a brinsea 20 advanced

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by