1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Incubator?

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by Horsemama, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Horsemama

Horsemama Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2012
    PA
    My Peacocks an Peahens are 1 yr. at what age do they breed and lay eggs and can someone suggest a good incubator I know pea eggs are hard to hatch. And should I look in to a couple of hens and what hens are good at hatchin!

2. new 2 pfowl

new 2 pfowl Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2012
    California
  3. SunBaked

SunBaked Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    Southwest
    They are generally ready for breeding at 3 years old. Although in rare cases hens can lay eggs at 2 years and I have a 2 year old male that just had 3 fertile eggs come out of his pen this week. The peahens in with him are all over 5 years old. The eggs at the beginning of the season from his pen were all blanks though.

As far as incubators the best I know of are the Brinsea's and the Lyons. They are kind of pricey though. I think about $400ish for the small ones. I just got a Hovabator Genesis for $130 that I really love. It stays at the right temperature all the time and has built in digital thermostat and humidity reader (not sure what they are called). It is nice and tall, perfect for the peachicks to be able to stand and the fan has a guard so you don't have to worry about the chicks getting their head cut up on the fan blades. Since I've had it the temp hasn't gone over or under 100 degrees, stays right where it should be and even came preset for bird eggs.

The best broody hens I've had were cochins and buff orpingtons. not sure what kinds other people use. I did have a rhode island red that was a good sitter but only 1 out of 4 of the reds that I had sat so not sure if they are good to recommend.

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I love my Banty Cochins, they're very good sitters and mothers, but my best broody has got to be my Buff Japanese, but she can't cover more than two eggs.

-Kathy

5. Horsemama

Horsemama Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2012
    PA
    Thanks everyone for the info. I'm new at this and thanks Sunbaked I guess I have another year to wait for eggs I thought they started laying at 2 yrs but that will give me time to get an incubator. Is your hatch rate better with a incubator than hens? And not to sound stupid but how do you get to these Stickies everyone says to look at for information?

6. new 2 pfowl

new 2 pfowl Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2012
    California
    One of our 2-year-old girls laid and hatched eggs this year...

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Mine laid a few eggs when they were two, but I don't know if they were fertile or not, 'cause the ducks I put them under cracked them. [​IMG]

-Kathy

8. They will sometimes lay some fertile eggs at two years old. We get very few though. In the third year they lay like crazy. If you let the hen incubate there are two disadvantages. The first is that she may not set or she may not do a good job. The second is that she will lay far fewer eggs in a season.

To recommend an incubator you really need to let us know your budget. I will tell you from experience that on the low end, a hovabator genesis is the cheapest I would go. If you want to go REASONABLE high capacity I like the GQF digital sportsman or a Dickeys.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by