Incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CrzychickLady12, Jan 2, 2015.

1. CrzychickLady12

CrzychickLady12 New Egg

Dec 28, 2014
    Anchor Point, Alaska
    Hi All

I am new to this sight but had a couple of questions. I really want to hatch out some of my own eggs. So I am curious about an incubator. Should I get one with a turner in it or just turn on my own. Also how often do I need to turn the eggs.

Thank you

2. HatchCraft

HatchCraft Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2011
    North Florida
    If you are incubating a dozen egg at a time, a turner is a convenience . If you are going to incubate hundreds, a turner be comes a necessity. I like hand turning eggs. I turn twice a day. Most people will hand turn 3 or more times a day.

3. dheltzel

dheltzel Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2013
    Pottstown, PA
    If you can afford a turner, it is wonderful, and you will get better hatches unless you are a fanatic about hand-turning. I don't think I'd ever incubate without an auto-turner.

4. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    As stated, having a turner is a nice though not a neccessity unless you are incubating in large numbers. If you choose not to go with an automatic turner you should turn AT LEAST 3 times a day but more is better. You should always turn an odd number of times (before you leave them for bed) no matter how many you do. This prevents them from being left on the same side every night during the longest period of not being turned.

5. CrzychickLady12

CrzychickLady12 New Egg

Dec 28, 2014
    Anchor Point, Alaska
    Ok Thank you all! Very helpful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by