Incubators and ambient temp. swings

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by aj1, Apr 7, 2011.

1. aj1

aj1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2010
    Somewhere In, TX
    I have a little giant steel air incubator and some how I would like to make it handle ambient room temperture swings of 50 to 85 degrees. I am thinking about building an insulated box out of plywood with vent holes, putting a light in the box with a hot water heater thermostat to hold the box temp. at about 70 within 3 to 4 degrees then placing my little giant incubator in the box I built. Does anyone think this idea would work or has anyone tried this before. Would like some feed back please. Also, does anyone know how to build an incubator that can handle ambient temp. swings.

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

Thats going about it the hard way but that would work. The easier way ist to stick a fan in the incubator. Here read this. http://cmfarm.us/stillair.html

3. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    We have our LG styrofoam incubator with a fan inside a large cardboard box to try to minimize room temp swings and drafts. 35 degrees is a big swing!

4. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    Quote:[​IMG]

5. aj1

aj1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2010
    Somewhere In, TX
    So do ya'll think a 35 degree ambient temp swing will be ok with just a fan or should i build the box as well?

6. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

I have heard it will but have never tried it with that much of a swing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by