Incubators and Thermometers

CluckNDoodle

Hatchaholic
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Jan 12, 2019
Georgia
Incubators and thermometers are the reason I have trust issues. :barnie I have no less than 13 additional thermometers and I'm still staring at my brand new IncuView unsure if I should adjust it or not. There are 2 thermometers that have clearly gone bad but 4 out of 6 thermometers that I put in the incubator are showing 102.2°F opposed to the digital readout on the incubator that is showing 99.5°F. :th

Incuview Thermometer.JPG

I used these same thermometers (maybe a couple more, but let's be honest this is already overkill, lol) to check my Nurture Right 360 incubators and the majority were spot on so that leads me to believe that the IncuView is running hot but I'm going to be putting goose eggs in it as soon as I work out these kinks and I just wanted to get opinions on adjusting it because I really want this goose hatch to go well! So much so that I bought this incubator to make sure the eggs would still be turned properly while I'm out of town for two days without relying on my husband to turn them! Anyway, I'm sorry for overexplaining everything. :duc Lol, I would love opinions on what others adjusted their IncuView incubators to...I have 2 other thermometer brands but they have the corded probes and I didn't see a way to put them in without leaving the lid cracked open which I think would make it inaccurate.

Someone, please help me so I can stop overthinking this. lol :oops:

Take a people thermometer and see what the temperature reading is.
Those tend to be MORE ACCURATE.:old
wishing you best,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

Thank you for responding! :hugs lol, I have a digital "people thermometer" too. I actually couldn't find an old fashioned glass mercury ones like when I was a kid. People just don't live on the edge anymore, I've only had one break in my mouth and I'm perfectly fine, lol. :drool
I'm going to put these other 2 brands of digital thermometers I have in there as my candy thermometer isn't accurate. One way or another I'm going to decide what to do with the temps today...

Last edited:
IMG_20190522_093448016_HDR.jpg

It's definitely hot. This is my most accurate thermometer and it matches most of the cheapo ones I put inside. I'm trying to calibrate now. Wish me luck!

How do you know it's accurate?

I test mine against a human medical thermometer for accuracy.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...incubator-thermometers-and-hygrometers.73634/

I'm pretty sure that's the same process I used for my candy thermometer. It was way off but I put it in with all the digital ones and calculated how much they were off. The little rectangle ones seem to vary but this one was only .01 or .02 off. I did it a few months ago though so I probably need to do it again because I'm finding none of these darn things are reliable. I may order a glass thermometer other than the candy one so I can check all of these again and toss the bad ones again.

I really should have put stickers on them with the exact temperature discrepancy but I didn't anticipate buying another Incubator so soon. Lol

I'm pretty sure that's the same process I used for my candy thermometer. It was way off but I put it in with all the digital ones and calculated how much they were off. The little rectangle ones seem to vary but this one was only .01 or .02 off. I did it a few months ago though so I probably need to do it again because I'm finding none of these darn things are reliable. I may order a glass thermometer other than the candy one so I can check all of these again and toss the bad ones again.
Definitely need to make notes on how far off they all are.

Back
Top Bottom