Incubators: finding the right one

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by VolailleAmant, Mar 14, 2017.

1. VolailleAmant

VolailleAmant Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2016
    Michigan
    What brand of incubators do you all use and prefer? I am looking to start hatching eggs and would like to know what to look for in an incubator. Any input is welcome!

2. MargaretAnneHK

MargaretAnneHK Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2012
    Kellogg,Minnesota
    I am currently using an "Incuview" which has been a great little incubator. My other favorite, I am hoping to get another as I had one years ago, is a Lyons TX6. And of course Brinsea makes great incubators.
    Of the styrofoam ones, I think it is the 1588 that does the best, though if you are able to really keep an eye on the temps and humidity, the other styrofoam ones aren't too bad either.

1 person likes this.
  3. VolailleAmant

Jul 26, 2016
    Michigan
    So the IncuView is the only one you own as of now? What is your typical hatch rate? I now enough about incubating, but would always LOVE to learn more!
    Are Auto-Turning incubators more expensive than most?
    Thank you very much!

4. MargaretAnneHK

Mar 14, 2012
    Kellogg,Minnesota
    Yes, the Incuview is one of two I own for now.I used to have some really nice incubators but told myself I was giving it up....so sold most of what I had. Easier said than done!! Now I am back to the Incuview and a styrofoam incubator. I have used the Incuview once in a test hatch and was very pleased with the outcome. Yes, usually the auto Turner incubators are more expensive. Though my Incuview was $170 so not the worst for price.

1 person likes this.
  5. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Love my Incuview. Best all around incubator for your money currently on the market. And you can't beat their customer service. I've been using mine for about 2 years now. Usually have about a 85 to 98 percent hatch rate. If an egg is fertile, it will almost always hatch.

1 person likes this.
  6. VolailleAmant

Jul 26, 2016
    Michigan
    Are you trying to sell yours?
    Where did you buy your starting one? (If that isn't to rude)

7. VolailleAmant

Jul 26, 2016
    Michigan
    That is great! I am definitely going to check them out. I am young, so I want to get a good, dependable incubator that isn't like $500 to buy and start. you know what I mean?
    I am looking to hatch and sell some of my Silkie eggs. :)

8. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 Chicken Obsessed

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    The Incuview is made by Incubator Warehouse so you can get it there, of course, but I think it might also be on Amazon. Though I think it's a little more expensive there. And the turner is built in on the Incuview :)

I'm thinking of getting one myself

1 person likes this.
  9. MargaretAnneHK

Mar 14, 2012
    Kellogg,Minnesota
    No, you aren't being rude but I don't plan on selling my Incuview. I wish I had kept all of the incubators I sold lol!!

My Incuview I bought off of ebay and my styrofoam incubator I bought at Menards. Again, I highly recommend the Incuview. With my test hatch had such fun watching them, the top allows for a very clear view of the whole process. The biggest thing I would do if you get an Incuview is take a sleeping bag and put it around the sides of the incubator making sure the the hot part of the cord isn't touching. Because the base is plastic, it helps insulate it and keep temp better, though if you have it in a room where the temps aren't fluctuating it might be okay without insulating the base.

1 person likes this.
  10. Jennn27

Jennn27 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2015
    Marshall, TX
    I have the Hov-a-Bator with the fan. I bought it last year, and have hatched several batches of eggs. The hatch rate is almost perfect. I've only lost a few, but I think it was because of the egg itself, as the others in the same batch did wonderfully. In fact, I just hatched another 8 eggs yesterday/last night. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by