incubators for turkey eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by birdbrain5, Feb 7, 2011.

1. birdbrain5

birdbrain5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    what kind of incubators can i fit turkey eggs in? from what i understand they wont fit in some incubators with turners? id like to find one i can use with the auto turner. i was recomended the hovabator (i forget the number) with the fan and turner, it was around $130 i believe, but does it fit turkey eggs?

2. Louise's Country Closet

Louise's Country Closet Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Garrison, MN
    No idea about the hovabator but I have a Little Giant with the turner that's able to fit turkey eggs in with no problems.

3. birdbrain5

Aug 2, 2010
    is that the one you can get at tractor supply? did you get a fan for yours or do you not use one? the feedback i got about the little giant still air from TSC made me feel that i should go with a different choice. have you had much success with yours? i would love to hear that they are good because it would be much easier than ordering one, and i would have it sooner! [​IMG]

4. Louise's Country Closet

Feb 5, 2010
    Garrison, MN
    A lot of people don't like them because they're so finicky, but I wanted one so bad that I decided to try it and see how it worked for me, lol. I actually did pretty good. Last summer I hatched over 100 birds with them. Chickens, ducks and turkeys. I have a fan and the turner with mine so that might have helped.. and I used sponges in the bottom when it came time for lockdown to bump up the humidity.

5. Louise's Country Closet

Feb 5, 2010
    Garrison, MN
    I should add that I I do love my Little Giant but even I'm looking for a 'bigger better one'. It depends on what you want to spend right away. If you have the money and can afford the better one, I would wait and see what else you can find. OR, buy the Little Giant and see how you do with it.. if I can't find exactly what I want than I'm more than happy sticking with my incubators because they've worked so well for me before.

6. Sumatra503

Sumatra503 Kozy Orchard Farms

Sep 24, 2010
    i'd go with a Hova Bator if you are looking into the cheaper bators. Mine has never had a problem and fits Goose Eggs without a hitch. I preffer the Wafer thermostat over the electronic, but to each their own.

7. birdbrain5

Aug 2, 2010
    thanks sweetxlilac for your input on the little giant, where you say they are kind of finicky i might try another, only because i really have no clue what im doing, i dont even know about temps and humidity, so maybe an easier "set and forget" would be better for me, not that im unwilling to learn or do it all, i just dont want to mess anything up!
    sumatra503- just curious why you prefer the wafer thermo rather than electronic? i have no idea the difference.

dont worry all, i do plan to get a book and make sure i know more before attempting [​IMG]

8. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Probably larger and more expensive than you'd want to bother with, but I use a Dickey 2x2 and it works great.

At first I used the regular chicken egg racks in the trays for the turkey eggs. They work, but are not very space efficient since you can only use every other hole. I've since bought proper turkey egg racks so I can set more eggs for the same amount of space.

9. bigdawg

bigdawg AA Poultry

Jun 28, 2009
    middle tenn
    i use my hova bator and chicken egg racks, also a fan. you just have to space them out. i think 20 eggs is the most i have done at one time. duck eggs work the same way

10. birdbrain5

Aug 2, 2010
    bigdawg - which model do you have? i am so stumped. im trying not to spend a ton, they are all relitively the same it seems. i dont know what the advantage or disadvantage of a wafer thermo is rather than an electonic thermo. can anyone explain? also, am i better off with a full view window rather than the ones with the two smaller squares, is it safer to be able to see whats going on and whos hatched? its hard to tell from the pics if you can get a good view of the inside. im so stumped. i want to order tonight but i just cant decide. when ordering the auto turner, should i get the one specifically for goose eggs? that way i can fit more turkey eggs in there? will i still be able to hatch chicken eggs too? im really a newbie at this bare with me [​IMG]
    i want to order from sure hatch, thier prices seem to be the best, so that is where i am referring to.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by