Incubators ideas opinions thoughts

nlsf

In the Brooder
Feb 19, 2017
I'm completely new to hatching eggs and have decided to try hatching Muscovy duck eggs. I'm at the point in the process of finding the right incubator, however since it's my first time hatching I'm not sure I want to spend hundreds of dollars on one. Does anyone have a incubator they like that's relatively cheap? Also what's people's opinions of homemade incubators?
Thanks!

I'm completely new to hatching eggs and have decided to try hatching Muscovy duck eggs. I'm at the point in the process of finding the right incubator, however since it's my first time hatching I'm not sure I want to spend hundreds of dollars on one. Does anyone have a incubator they like that's relatively cheap? Also what's people's opinions of homemade incubators?
Thanks!

Well I wish you luck----"They" say Muscovy eggs are the hardest duck egg to hatch----very few can hatch them. I would like to get a fresh dozen or two to try. Incubators, home-made or factory can hatch most eggs if its properly built. To save you some time---ask question, learn what and how a incubator needs to be built before you start. So many try to build something----then want people to help straighten out the mess----We that know---want to tell them to throw it in the trash and start-----but you really hate to say that when they put sooooo much time in building----it-----Wrong.

I have a Hova-Bator cost little over $100 dollars, I also have one I built but haven't used yet built out of things I have laying around got $15.00 dollars in it. I gave it a dry run and it did good. I had a styrofoam cooler, a cpu fan bought a STC-1000 electronic thermostat $11.00 and a light socket $4.00. A lot of members run homemade and they do good with them. I am like you new to this so mostly experimenting with what works for me.

Well I wish you luck----"They" say Muscovy eggs are the hardest duck egg to hatch----very few can hatch them. I would like to get a fresh dozen or two to try. Incubators, home-made or factory can hatch most eggs if its properly built. To save you some time---ask question, learn what and how a incubator needs to be built before you start. So many try to build something----then want people to help straighten out the mess----We that know---want to tell them to throw it in the trash and start-----but you really hate to say that when they put sooooo much time in building----it-----Wrong.

Do you know of any good design plans for building one? I've been thinking of just doing that but I would love to have an actual design plan to follow instead of just trying to come up with something. Thanks so much!

Do you know of any good design plans for building one? I've been thinking of just doing that but I would love to have an actual design plan to follow instead of just trying to come up with something. Thanks so much!

Give me a idea what you want.

How many eggs you want it to hold?
Do you plan to hand turn the eggs or want to make its own turner or want to be able to add a factory turner??

Let me say this----I got to looking and ended up with probably 10 to 15 Styrofoam incubators for cheap----some $5 and $10 already made and ready to go. So "I" would do a search before I got started to see what was available. I built my cabinet incubator and hatcher you see in my pic, but ended up in the next few months buying several more factory cabinets cheaper than I could buy the stuff to build one----besides the time.

There is a lot of home-made on here and you-tube that can be built cheap. Decide what size you want---and look around---you might get lucky, BUT do not do like I have seen a couple people do-----went and bought a untested or tested and would not hatch incubators that were built wrong and could not hatch a egg in them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom