Incubators... what are you using??

Discussion in 'Quail' started by TedJan92_in_Idaho, Nov 1, 2011.

1. TedJan92_in_Idaho

TedJan92_in_Idaho Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Cocolalla Idaho
    I have this huge GQF incubator that will hold 1200+ quail eggs. I have 13 in it. [​IMG] auto turn, electronic thermostat, wafer backup. I had the humidity at 40% and now have it bumped up to 70 for lock down. Seems like the chicks are drying out before they hatch and get stuck in the shell. Had the same problem with chickens. Anyone have a clue what I might be doing wrong. I am about to karate chop the %#@&*^k thing. [​IMG] Is the fan doing it?

2. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    If the chicks are drying out the humidity is still low. I don't know anything about the GQF cabinets. I have 3 LGS, 2 Hovabators and a mini cabinet homemade that I stick a bowl of water inside and call it good. Maybe you need to stick a sponge in there or something...sorry if I sound stupid [​IMG]

3. TedJan92_in_Idaho

TedJan92_in_Idaho Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Cocolalla Idaho
    I would thing 70% should be enough. If you open the door you can really feel it. I wish I had my Roll-X back.

4. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I agree that should be enough...I would then wonder the fan.

5. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    I have read fans will cause shrink wrapping. We are using a havobator with fan, and i'm going to see if it can be disabled at hatch until we can get another unit just for hatching.

Ted,
    I'm sorry to hear your having so much trouble.

6. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    That's a good point Critter! I wonder if that's why I get good hatches in my still airs...hmmmm

7. Mek

Mek Chillin' With My Peeps

Incubator too large for thirteen eggs? maybe it has to work extra hard for the larger area.
    I am also guessing its like a fridge you can have hot and cold spots as well...

I am using a Rcom20.
    With my thermometre i have noticed that that side is slightly cooler and if you but the thermometre on a higher spot where the wind travels from the fan its cooler there.
    Have you noticed that eggs hatch better on one side of the incubator?

8. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Ted When You Move Them To The Hatching Tray Cover 'em With A Damp Disposable Diaper To Help Limit The "wind" From The Fan And Also Boost The Humidity Around The Eggs. The Diaper Will Need Daily Re-wetting Throughout The Time In Use... Or You Could Try Covering Them With Some Cardboard If The Humidity Is Too High. Something To Block The Fast Moving Air From Contacting The Eggs

Also Have You Calibrated That Hygrometer?

9. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:IF THE FAN IS DOING ITS JOB YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO COOK 3 EGGS SAME AS 1200... ALSO THERE SHOULDNT BE ANY HOT/ COLD SPOTS ~~ THATS THE REASON FOR FORCED AIR, TO MAINTAIN A STEADY TEMPERATURE AND CONDITIONS WITHIN THE ENVIRONMENT

10. Jimsbirdhouse

Jimsbirdhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2010
    Gonzales, Texas
    I have 5 GQF and no problems hatching. Go to the back of the unit and adjust the air vent in the back to 1/3 open. This should build your moisture up. If you have the unit with 3 ports make sure their all the same.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by