Incubators???? What do I get??

CountryGal517

Chirping
5 Years
Feb 25, 2014
Georgetown, KY
I am looking into incubators for when my Golden Comets finally start to lay eggs (just doing my research) and came across still air and circulated air incubators.

What are the differences and which one is recommended??

Opinions please...

CountryGal517

I am looking into incubators for when my Golden Comets finally start to lay eggs (just doing my research) and came across still air and circulated air incubators.

What are the differences and which one is recommended??

Opinions please...

CountryGal517
I just ordered mine and I got the Brinsea Octagon 20 Advance after much research. Yeah it was expensive but more people seem to love it and it has a good track record so I splurged!

I also have just ordered the Brinsea Octagon 20 Advance, as well. :lol: Looking forward to trying it out. Looking for Buff Orpington eggs. Not finding any locally...live in middle Ga, so will probably send for some through the mail. I do have my EEs, so will have them, too. I have also ordered some copper Marans eggs from our farmers market. I'm going to crack a few and see if they are fertile...if they are they will go in, too. Egg-cited! (Sorry!):lol:

I also have just ordered the Brinsea Octagon 20 Advance, as well.
lol.png
Looking forward to trying it out. Looking for Buff Orpington eggs. Not finding any locally...live in middle Ga, so will probably send for some through the mail. I do have my EEs, so will have them, too. I have also ordered some copper Marans eggs from our farmers market. I'm going to crack a few and see if they are fertile...if they are they will go in, too. Egg-cited! (Sorry!)
lol.png
Like your avatar, yum!

Thanks! Already looking forward to this years garden. Today I planted onions, radish, and potatoes! I have a good start with my lettuce. Kale has been growing all winter, but did have some frost damage with this hard :(winter. But, it recovered nicely. Yay spring!:D

Country gal, my research seemed to indicate fan circulated incubators do better overall as the are able to keep a more constant temperature, without any cold or hot pockets.

I'm thinking about getting a new incubator. I have the hovabator 1602 w/ the turner still air and after having it on for 2 wks to check the temps, humidity, etc, the temp varied from 97 to 104F. Our house is heated w/ wood and temps do vary from low 70's to upper 80's. I could keep the bator in a back room for more stable temps though. I was reading about the genesis and the brinsea. The latest reviews on the genesis on this forum are they are not as stable as maybe they once were. Comments? Where did you order your brinsea from?

Country gal, my research seemed to indicate fan circulated incubators do better overall as the are able to keep a more constant temperature, without any cold or hot pockets.

That's what we decided on was a circulated air. We have recently received a new to us lg circulated air incubator with egg turner and so far is working great holding temps perfectly

Hi there! I ordered my Brinsea from Avian Web LLC in Mims, FL. I found them by comparing prices from ebayers and Amazon.com. Their Brinsea was the lower price, for the same incubator. I bought a Brinsea Octogon 20 with the turner attachment. It is really pretty cool, and very little adjustment to the temp was required, and only when I went into lockdown and wanted to lower the temp just a bit. I've only had it for this first hatch, and it has worked like a dream. It was a bit pricey, but with the level of entertainment it has provided me for this first hatch, I say it is well worth it. I had tried hatching with an old hova-bator sill air and had disastrous results. So, happy that the Brinsea has helped me be more successful with my hatch. (so far 75%, hoping for more as today is only day 21.) Also, as soon as this hatch if finished I have Buff Orpington eggs going in... so much fun!!!

Last edited:
My suggestion is find the names and models of what you dcould buy and then google for opinions here on BYC.

Out of necessity I rushed to buy what I could and the LG was the only option. IT is a very in expensive model and takes some finess to get good results. I and several others have been using it successfully for years.

U can find much info on the LG thread-- very active; and an old LG thread has good stuff but forgotten.

LG is not a set it and forget it; other models do that. THe LG taught me how to hatch and then have the gumpsion to build my own.

Back
Top Bottom