Incubators--what to look for?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Mrs. Mucket, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Mrs. Mucket

Mrs. Mucket Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    We're looking at incubators with electric turners--what are the factors to consider? Fans? Electronic thermostats? Any recommendations or suggestions?

2. shuizar209

shuizar209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2009
    Riverside
    I turn the eggs myself for two reasons. One I feel a connection to them before theyeven hatch and two I can fit more in the bator haha. [​IMG]

I do not know alot about the turners and stuff so heres a bump for you and hopefully someone who does chimes in.

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I work full time so I cannot hand turn. I have the Brinsea Octo Eco 20 and it holds 24 eggs (which keeps me from having 995,000 chicks) and is pretty much stupid proof. I love it!!!

4. jm93030

jm93030 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    All depends on how much you want to spend and how much time you have to check on the incubator

Brinsea is known to be the best
    But it only fits 24 chicken eggs
    Hovabator Genesis 1588
    Works very good too
    it can hold 42 chicken eggs
    with the turner

How many chicks do you plan to hatch ?

I have a Genesis 1588 with turner

5. debilorrah

Brinsea sells other bators that hold more but the one that holds 24 is the most popular. Its the one I have. I wish I had more room, but I also know it is just not feasible to hatch more.

6. Mrs. Mucket

May 3, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    jm--We'd like to process around 50 birds at a time. I have looked at the Hovabator 1588--looks like it would work, having fan and thermostat. With the turner it will hold 42 eggs?

I'll also check out the larger Brinsea.

7. doxies1

doxies1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2010
    West centeral Maryland
    The 1588 will hold 42 and push come to shove, you can double stack some for larger capacity. Guinea fowl forum folks do it regularly.

8. Mrs. Mucket

May 3, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Thanks for the comments--we ordered a Hovabator 1588, which seems to be the favorite among people we asked. With the turner it will hold 42 eggs. We'll be able to raise a couple of batches during our summers--meaties and layer replacements. If we have any broody hens we may get some chicks the old fashioned way too!

9. valley ranch

valley ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Greetings, We are using a homemade but have ordered a turner, like having a automatic transmission in the car.
    Having a fan I think is another must. Well, many people do just fine without either.

Richard

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  10. debilorrah

Mrs. Mucket :

Thanks for the comments--we ordered a Hovabator 1588, which seems to be the favorite among people we asked. With the turner it will hold 42 eggs. We'll be able to raise a couple of batches during our summers--meaties and layer replacements. If we have any broody hens we may get some chicks the old fashioned way too!

Good choice!!!!​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by