incubators

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mommyp, Mar 26, 2009.

1. mommyp

mommyp Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2007
    Vestal
    I am a semi-reluctant 4-h poultry leader.My reluctance is my small amount of knowledge.I love poultry, but it's a little more intimidating to try to tell children the best way to do things:) I read the FAQ about incubators and didn't find enough info to help. My question is , we are trying to get some funding for an incubation project.I need to list out specifics and total costs.Can some one recommend specific incubators? Our 4-h office thinks we may be able to get 500$ so I want to get as many families involved as possible.My experience is with a Little Giant,and that has been mostly positive.I'm sorry this is lengthy, I just want to do right by the children and give them an exciting positive experience.Thanks Becky

2. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    If you think you can come up with $500.oo try for the little extra it would cost to get a Dicky or Sportsman with the clear door..

maybe contact both of the companies and explain how much you have to spend and how much you really like their incubator and maybe one will give you a $ break as long as it is for 4H.

point out to them the future sales when the 4H 'ers are old enough to purchase their own bators..

3. mommyp

mommyp Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2007
    Vestal
    thanks for the suggestion.I was really hoping to buy multiple incubators so the families could all experience the thrill of hatching. Our leader in the 4-h office suggested the incubators that hold 3 eggs. I have not heard much good about them.Has any one tried them? What was your success rate?My only experience is with styrofoam. Is there a better way? Should we risk making them? Agggg. This is why I'm areluctant leader.I can see all their little disappointed faces if nothing hatches.Has anyone else done 4-h incubation?Thanks Becky

4. mediazeal

mediazeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Brinsea has been running a sale/special on their Brinsea 20 ECO incubator. Holds 24 hen eggs and seems to be much more reliable/steady temp, easy to clean/sterilize, then the styrofoam ones.
    They were selling for $99
    Auto Turner extra.
    http://www.brinsea.com/products/octagon20eco.htm

click on the web special button on the right for the sale

5. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    Quote:If you really do not want to see their disappointed faces, DO NOT use that 3 egg incubator.My neice, (a teacher) gave me hers. she didn't like the disapointed faces of the kindergarden class either..
    I would give it to you, but I won't, because I like you..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by