incubators

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by PECULIARPETE, May 4, 2009.

1. PECULIARPETE

PECULIARPETE Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2009
    I just found a favorite incubator made by leahy mfg. It`s an oil burner and about 100 years old I think? I just love old timey stuff. Anyway it`s a dresser style bator, bout 4 foot long by 3 foot deep and it looks like its all there for the most part? The oil burner is rotted out but I think an oil lamp could be used? The boiler and tubing inside are all intact as well as the wafer. Egg trays and glass doors are good. The whole thing is really pretty cool and I`d like to see if I can make it work again? Does anyone have any info that could help? anutter science project.[​IMG]

2. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

I'd retro fit it with an electric heating element, instead of burning oil.

3. NancyP

NancyP Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Bonifay,Florida
    Ditto what Christopher said. Oil burns messy. Electric would be much better. Sounds like a cool find. Do you have any pics? I would love to see it.

Nancy

4. PECULIARPETE

PECULIARPETE Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2009
    I`m still trying to figger out how it works? Like I said all the copper plumbing is still there. I wonder if I could set up a heating element on the outside to replace the oil burner and still use the boiler? That would be cool huh? Anyway I`d still like to make it work the way its supposed to just to say I did. It`s a passion for old timey stuff I guess. After that I`d modify it as long as I refit it back to original. I`ll see if I can post some pics? I`m still just figgerin out how to navigate here? Thanx for the reply. I need all the info I can get. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by