Incubators?????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tristancolli, Sep 2, 2009.

1. tristancolli

tristancolli Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Kinmount
    I am looking at buying and incubator but i was wondering how do u manually turn an egg i thought u were not supost to open the bator when the eggs are in it

2. busylizzie

busylizzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    I am opening my basic bator to turn the eggs but you can (i think) use something to prop up one end of the bator (obviously eggs need to be secured inside.....egg carton or such) and then swap the prop to the other side 3+ times per day. good luck [​IMG]

3. 2txmedics

2txmedics Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Manvel Texas
    Its best to NOT open the bator, but if you have to turn eggs you have no choice...unless you can rig something up...and if u do open it, make it quick...what kind of bator are you getting?

You can buy a turner for them also. I have an LG and 2 hovabators

4. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    You do it like lightning.

I have a hova-bator, so when I open mine, I set it down next to the eggs so all the hot air is still trapped underneath it (Hot air rises...so you get a hot-air ballon effect)

You get faster as you go. Just don't be trying to do 400 eggs by hand.

Depending on your incubator, it is easier just to put the eggs in cartons (with the bottoms cut out) and but a brick/phonebook under one side. Then move the brick to the other side.

/o then o\\

5. tristancolli

Aug 25, 2009
    Kinmount
    i can get a hova-bator for 149.99 but without a turner and i was hoping i would be able to find someone from around my arena on this site that had an old one that wouldn't cost me that much

6. 2txmedics

2txmedics Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Manvel Texas
    Try carigslist if you have one in your area or something like it...I got a hovabator complete for 25.00 used only twice...and one free today....from a friend.
    posted an ad out

7. tristancolli

Aug 25, 2009
    Kinmount
    yes i have tried craigslist but there was nothing on there

8. briesberrypatch

briesberrypatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2008
    Yellow Springs, OH
    Try Cutler Supply-

http://www.cutlersupply.com/cart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2_24_28

I just bought a Genesis with a turner for $155 from Cutler on the recommendation of some others here. With shipping it turned out to be about $175.

They have some less expensive models, with auto turner for much less. The 1602 Hovabator with turner is $89.20 plus shipping.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by