Incubators

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tinkbell, Jan 24, 2010.

1. tinkbell

tinkbell Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2010
    Any suggests on which incubator would be best for a beginner?

2. Ban seabhag

Ban seabhag Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    Glenn HWY Alaska
    How many eggs are you thinking of hatching?

3. tinkbell

tinkbell Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2010
    anywhere from 10 to 20

4. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2008
    Idaho
    Most of us start with a styrofoam bator. I'd suggest that you even find like the local am radio community shopper and see if you can borrow or rent one first. You first batch will be a learning curve. It is fun, but you get to refine you technique. I suggest keeping a journal to help you with future refinements.

5. Ban seabhag

Ban seabhag Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    Glenn HWY Alaska
    I have a styrofoam (hovabator) and an Brinsea octogon 20. The Brinsea hands down, is my favorite, though the Hova is a nice bator. The manual version just tips from side to side and I don't have to turn each egg. They hold a really constant temp.

6. steelersfan43

steelersfan43 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    NE IN
    I have heard that tractor supply has small incubators for $40 that aren't too bad. Anyone tried these?

7. bigdawg

bigdawg AA Poultry

Jun 28, 2009
    middle tenn
    the hova bator is is more user friendly. the little giant at tsc is harder to keep temp adjusted. i love my hova bator with fan and turner. check craigslist in your area. hova bators are on there from time to time

8. steelersfan43

steelersfan43 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    NE IN
    Quote:Does it matter which model? Some of those can get pretty pricey

9. NancyP

NancyP Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Bonifay,Florida
    I had an LG from tractor supply for 40 and it worked great. I was very happy with it.
    Nancy

10. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    I started with this 1202 my friend lent me. I know some people don't think of a cabinet incubator as a "beginner's model", but that catchphrase says to me "easy to work with, with known book info" rather than "inexpensive". I'd rather put my money into a bator than shipped eggs that get messed up in incubation, extra gadgets for troubleshooting, etc and be able to test hatch by following guides like The Guide To Better Hatching, rather than trying my luck with lots of variables or trying to find someone with the exact same bator to ask.

There are deals out there on good used cabinet incubators; they don't have to break the bank.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by