Incubators

Discussion in 'Quail' started by dt1958, Nov 19, 2011.

1. dt1958

dt1958 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    Down South
    Working on getting my (2) new incubators temp & humidity settings correct before my eggs arrive and I am finding that the LG still air humidity level with all water channels filled will only come up to 47%. So I guess that I will need to add additional water surface area to reach the desired 50%-60% range. The other one I bought is a Hovabator 1602N with the fan & has a lot more channels to add water & when I turned it on I just filled the center channel & it is running at constant 55% humidity from the get go. Both are holding temps well at this point. Will be using turners in both units.

2. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    You could use a sponge or a couple small ones in the middle of the turner where there is a gap between trays, you just need to soak them in water and put them in there.

Good luck with your hatch, cant wait to see pics

3. dt1958

Nov 15, 2011
    Down South
    Okay I will add the sponges between the racks. Also I have been monitoring the temps min/max in both incubators & they go from a low of 98.8 to a high of 101.6 as the units cycle on & off. Am I getting somewhere in the vicinity of where they need to be to hatch quail eggs ? Am trying for the 99.5 but due to the unit cycling off & on I cant get them to hold exactly at the 99.5 temp ??

4. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    That is exactly why people do not like the foam-a-bators, they are unreliable and hard to keep a temp in without modifications.

I think those temps will be ok, as long as it doesnt get much cooler or hotter than that

5. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Here is a trick with the LGs.

Keep the vent plug in but also stick a sponge or a feminine napkin/maxi pad/diaper (anything that will hold liquid in well)

I have extremely high hatches in my LGs and have done this and the humidity will stay in and stay high.

As for heat, it will fluctuate so you can rotate the back eggs and front eggs so the eggs get the same temp. Also give the eggs a couple day extra since it's still air and that some eggs didn't get the same temp as others.

I hope some of this makes sense!!

6. dt1958

Nov 15, 2011
    Down South
    Okay sponges & vent plugs in & already at 51% humidity, thanks for the info [​IMG]. Now if the temp varying a few degrees when the units cycle is okay I will be ready for eggs when they get here. I also just set a dozen chicken eggs in the LG bator [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by