Incubators??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sonz77, Aug 26, 2013.

1. sonz77

sonz77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2013
    Qualicum Beach, BC
    This will be my first attempt at incubation, so I would like a little advice please?? I'm wondering what's a good incubator to buy, what do I want to look for?
    The lady I'm getting the eggs from said just make sure it's got an auto turner. I found a 'farm innovator' one in eBay that looked decent. Am going to go to my local supply store first and see what they have.
    Help please?!?!

2. loveourbirds

loveourbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    going by people's response on here:

farm innovators has several temperature fluctuations, but if you put it in a good place it will work ok- they tend to not last long

little giant is a little more temperature stable, replacement parts are a little easier to get - again they dont last long

hovabator is probably the best of the styrofoam units, they are a little more pricey. you can order plastic bottom protectors, these make the incubator last a little longer.

brisnea has the least complaints, lasts pretty well - biggest complaint i have seen is the temperature isnt always accurate on the readout - never trust a thermometer that comes with any incubator.

3. sonz77

sonz77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2013
    Qualicum Beach, BC
    Great, thank you!! I will start looking locally today and see what I can find. The eBay ones weren't going to get here In time also.
    I'm nervous about this and just want to give it my best shot!

4. loveourbirds

loveourbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    relax, the more you get stressed about it the more your gonna drive yourself nuts trying to keep things perfect.

a hen can do this in below freezing temps, or on a 100 degree day. she can do it when its raining, or in the desert where it hasnt rained in months.

just in case you do fail the first time - dont get discouraged. it happens to a lot of us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by