Incubators

ChickenGirl18

In the Brooder
5 Years
Nov 1, 2014
Hey guys! Looking into buying an incubator and if you guys have a favorite incubator brand let me know below!

The secret of success when hatching eggs in an incubator is to follow the manufactures' directions to the "T" If you are unsure or if the instructions are not crystal clear either pester the company till the instructions are clear or choose a different make of incubator. As for myself I like forced air incubators. If you buy a small one get two. One to incubate in and the other to use as a hatcher, that is if you intend to keep eggs hatching more or less continuously. Also choose a spot for the incubator with the least amount of temperature, humidity, drafts, and sunlight variations. An incubator is a dumb machine, you have to think for it.

The secret of success when hatching eggs in an incubator is to follow the manufactures' directions to the "T

I beg to differ, the manufactures instructions (or anyone else's) are general guidelines they are not absolute rules that have to be followed for success...

IMO the secret to success is to keep notes on each incubation and find out what works best for you and repeat even if it's not following any guidelines... The reason for this is that irregardless of the incubator being used, the ambient temps, ambient humidity and whatever other environmental variable varies by location and has to be taken into consideration...

The instructions that come with many incubators are generally great guidelines but they do not have to be followed exactly for success...

I beg to differ, the manufactures instructions (or anyone else's) are general guidelines they are not absolute rules that have to be followed for success...

IMO the secret to success is to keep notes on each incubation and find out what works best for you and repeat even if it's not following any guidelines... The reason for this is that irregardless of the incubator being used, the ambient temps, ambient humidity and whatever other environmental variable varies by location and has to be taken into consideration...

The instructions that come with many incubators are generally great guidelines but they do not have to be followed exactly for success...
I have to agree as I was recently conversing with someone with a still air incubator that had mentioned her temp was staying at the 99.5-100 degrees. I commented that everything I had read stated still air incubators needed to be at 101-102 degrees, and gave her the link to the info. She was surprised as her manual for the still air incubator stated 99.5. I'd rather research multiple sites/material and compare to get the average recommendations and try that first then tweak to our needs.

Hey guys! Looking into buying an incubator and if you guys have a favorite incubator brand let me know below!

I would recommend a Brinsea definatly my favourite.
I have the octagon 20 advance EX with humidity pump and it's great. Very reliable, set and leave apart from candling. No having to hand turn no having to open to add water, good alarms too for high and low temp (although mine has never gone off during incubation)has the cool down option that mimics mother hen getting off the nest. If you get the humidity pump you also get foam strips that fit in your metal dividers. Havnt got a bad word to say about it. Has given me great results :frow

The brinsea octagon advance ex is $587!! Ouch! I was excited when I read your recommendation but disappointed when I saw the cost. Not affordable for a backyard hobbyist just trying out hatching.

Oh WOW! Does anyone know of an inexpensive incubator?
I believe the most inexpensive ones are the little giant styrofoam still air incubators. They run around 45 bucks at Tractor Supply and the egg turners are another 45. I just noticed they also have a Farm Innovators pro series circulated air incubator for $130 that has the egg turner and fan kit included.

Back
Top Bottom