Incurable gapeworm?! Please!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenoverlord, Oct 9, 2013.

1. chickenoverlord

chickenoverlord Chillin' With My Peeps

Ok, 15 days ago my hen came down with gapeworm, I ordered worminator and gave to her as I was instructed. A few days later, she was gaping and sneezing again, so I wormed her again, she was fine. Two days later, sh is worse than ever!!! She has been confined the who'd time, o she couldn't spread it to others. HELP!!!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Are you certain it is gapeworm and not a respiratory disease? Fenbendazole Safegard and Panacur 20 mg per each 2.2 lb for 3-4 days is supposed to kill gapeworm. The surrounding area needs to be cleaned and treated also. Sevin dust (carbaryl) is good for dusting the area. Here is some info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gapeworm

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  3. chickenoverlord

Yes, it is definitely gapeworm. I guess I will try the safeguard. Should I cull the chicken?

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Have you seen these red "Y" shaped worms in the trachea? If so, did you slice open the trachea to view the worms?
    [​IMG]

5. flowerchild59

flowerchild59 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Southern IL
    I would use valbazen, for the treatment.

6. chickenoverlord

I have not sliced open the trachea because the chicken is still ALIVE. And where do I get valbazen?

7. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    I was able to find Valbazen at my Farm and Fleet supply store. Right in the Livestock medication aisle. Good luck.

8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    My Southern States Co-op and Rural King carry it. You can call around the area farm stores for it. My local TSC does not carry it, but they have Safegard goat wormer which is cheaper than Valbazen. I like Valbazen best because it also gets tapeworm, but Safegard is good to alternate with Valbazen. Here is an online place for Valbazen: http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail....=34525401043&gclid=CIGK_IirjLoCFasRMwod5SEABQ

9. chickenoverlord

Ok, thx. How many times o I worm her with it?

10. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    I actually live an hour away from my nearest Farm and Fleet and sometimes it's easy for me to just order on-line and found this Allivet company who is also great. Here's their link for Valbazen.

They're out of Florida and were super fast to ship to me in MN. The Southern East coast it shouldn't take any time at all for a shipment to you if you can't find it at your farm/fleet store.

http://www.allivet.com/p-2170-valbazen.aspx

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by