India blue cock bred to silver pied hen?

Fowler Hencock

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 11, 2011
I've looked around, at all the genetics charts I can find, and I can't find the percentage breakdown of what the chicks from this pairing would be. What percent will be white, white eye, pied, dark pied, IB split white, etc? I know silver pied carry two copies of the white eye gene, and at least one copy of the pied gene. But I don't know exactly how that transfers to chicks from this pairing.

It depends if your Indian blue is split to anything. If not, then since silver pied has 2 white eye genes, and white eye is somewhat dominant, you should get most birds coming out white eye. Also, silver pied has pied gene and white gene so I think half will be split to white and half will be split to pied but i don't think you will get any offspring from the first mating that look anything other than white eyed splits. Hope I got it right...someone correct me if I'm wrong please.

It depends if your Indian blue is split to anything. If not, then since silver pied has 2 white eye genes, and white eye is somewhat dominant, you should get most birds coming out white eye. Also, silver pied has pied gene and white gene so I think half will be split to white and half will be split to pied but i don't think you will get any offspring from the first mating that look anything other than white eyed splits. Hope I got it right...someone correct me if I'm wrong please.

Correct.

So all you would get that doesn't "look" blue, would be some blue white eyed? What if the cock was not a genetically dominant blue, but some other pure color, like opal or bronze? Would the original blue genes still take preference.... since non - sex linked colors mated to blue still produces (split) blue?

All chicks would be blue in color when hatched since blue is dominate?

Not quite- genes should be considered 'individually' because they are single traits- white eyed vs not white eyed/'normal', white vs not white, pied vs not pied and so on. It's because "blue" is the total make up of many different genes, instead of a single trait.

So- white eyed, white are dominant/semi dominant genes, black shoulder, opal, bronze are recessive genes.

So all you would get that doesn't "look" blue, would be some blue white eyed? What if the cock was not a genetically dominant blue, but some other pure color, like opal or bronze? Would the original blue genes still take preference.... since non - sex linked colors mated to blue still produces (split) blue?

Drop the idea of blue being dominant/recessive and instead think of it like "is white eyed dominant?(answer is yes)"

Opal is still a genetically blue bird, except the opal gene affected only one gene inside the bird, causing the bird to 'come out' in shades of gray. You could look at opals as India Blue- except one gene inside them is 'wonky'.

Drop the idea of blue being dominant/recessive and instead think of it like "is white eyed dominant?(answer is yes)"
Correct, White eyed gene is dominant. However, this will not mean that an Indian Blue male carrying 1 copy of the white eye gene is going to pass it on to every one of his offspring. 50% of his offspring will inherit it, while the other 50% will not

Fowler Hencock - nathowe is correct, all birds will be Indian blue carrying 1 copy of the white eyed gene, but 50% of those will be split to white, while the other 50% will be carry 1 copy of the pied gene. If you are breeding to achieve more silver pieds, it will take more breedings to achieve this. Aside from the inbreeding, ideally you would use one of the single copy white eyed male offspring (won't matter if it carries pied or white) and breed it back to its mother. 25% of this breeding will result in more silver pied birds.

I am presently working on a massive breeding chart for Indian blue and it includes the following genes - white eyed, pied, white, silver pied, blackshoulder (solid wing) and brown wing. The only issue I have is finding a method of posting it as it is in excel format. This is a start to possibly making a searchable tool that would give the offspring possibilities for any cross, even intra colour. It doesn't include %s as often they are only going to be close if you are breeding large numbers.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the responses. So Arbor, will there be any external identification of white in the first generation? (IB to silver pied mating) Would all, some, or none of the 1st gen show white eyes, white throats, white flights, etc.?

This is a great chart that I use, from Cox Fowl Farm:

www.coxfowlfarm.com/Peafowl_Genetics_2.doc

Thanks for all the responses. So Arbor, will there be any external identification of white in the first generation? (IB to silver pied mating) Would all, some, or none of the 1st gen show white eyes, white throats, white flights, etc.?
1st generation - all males will have some white eyes, all hens will show a lighter sheen and lightening on the feathers. (in short, all birds carry and show evidence of the white eyed gene.
- as I am going on only what I have seen myself, it may be possible that birds with one copy of the white eyed gene may show some white flights, just as a split to white would.

However, if you were line breeding a male back to its mother to create more silver pieds, it matters not whether you choose a male split to white, or carry one copy of the pied gene, the result would still be 25%

Back
Top Bottom