India Blue has a white flight feather

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by peafowlmom, Jan 29, 2012.

1. peafowlmom

peafowlmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    Summerville ,SC
    She does not have any other white except 1 white flight feather. does this mean she is pied?

2. DreamBird

DreamBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2011
    New Caledonia
    From what I know, she might be dark pied or split to white then, if it's only flight feather. So I remember anyway. >.>
    Dunno if the white throat latch is visible on peahens...I'm still rather new to peafowl. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  3. Choctaw Valley Farm

Choctaw Valley Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    Oklahoma
    [​IMG] sounds like you could be right on, now if she is still real young that white flight could also go away the older she gets.

4. peafowlmom

Jul 20, 2011
    Summerville ,SC
    Does split to white mean, its had a white mom or dad? Does throat latch mean a patch of white on the throat?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  5. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    To answer your recent question, yes and yes. At zoos you will often see peafowl with a few white flight feathers and you will notice that the zoo might have a few white peafowl so it is from a white and another variety like India blue matting. White throat latches are white on the throat and some will be larger patches of white then others.

6. featherhead

featherhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2008
    Kentucky, USA
    For 7 years, my hen Geneva has had 1 white flight on her left wing. Surprise! This year she also has a white flight on her right. She hatched 2 clutches of chicks a few years back, and a few of those chicks also had a white flight, so I'm assuming Geneva was split to white. Our only male at that time was Blue.

7. peafowlmom

Jul 20, 2011
    Summerville ,SC
    Thanks minx and featherhead!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by