india blue peacocks

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by diamondamiss, Oct 1, 2013.

1. diamondamiss

diamondamiss New Egg

Aug 17, 2013
    I recently purchased an india blue peacock and three peahens.I am getting ready to purchase their parents.My question is,can I breed the offspring of the adult peacock and peahen?Since they came from same parents?

2. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Yep, that is how all the different colors were established, it is called line breeding where folks breed for certain things they want, in my case it is called breeding what I could get at the time.

Please post photos of your pretties [​IMG] when ya get time, we have a section on this forum called "show off your peas, I try to keep it on the first page with my post so it is easy to find.
    [​IMG]

3. Roseheart16

Roseheart16 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2013
    I don't know very much about them, this is my forst year starting with peafowl but the person I got mine from seemed to inbreed hers. Guinea hens were her main birds but I just don't think there really is a way to controll who they breed with...
    I don't think it matters much but I may be wrong, hopefully someone with experience breeding will come along. Good luck! And do post pictures of your birds if you can! :D

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  4. mbbrinegar

mbbrinegar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2013
    NC
    I think you can breed children with parents but not siblings.

5. You may mate any generational difference in peafowl. The mating of parents to offspring and sibling to sibling is done all of the time. Either of these crosses would be considered inbreeding. Inbreeding has the disadvantage, in simple terms, of increasing the probability of propagating genetic defects. ALL of our peafowl are the result of fairly intensive inbreeding for color and pattern purposes. It would difficult for you to obtain a bird that was not so closely related to any other bird in the states that inbreeding could not be established. You just want to try and not reinforce genetic defects.

Some of the defects we have seen in peafowl such as birds that turn white or go blind and die or the inability of charcoal hens to lay fertile eggs are probably related to a genetic defect propagated in the original pairs or groups of mutations. The fact that we have gotten rid of those genes by outcrossing mutations beyond the flocks where they occurred show how you can eliminate defects. I don't know of anyone still getting cameos with the death gene.

Linebreeding is a term that is for the most part undefined and is commonly used to refer to politically correct inbreeding where a single trait is reinforced as it appears. In other words say you breed a pair of animals and the dad has a golden beak. You breed a bunch of children or maybe even their children and you finally get on that has a golden beak. You then breed that animal back to the dad to try and reinforce that trait. The term is used for other forms of inbreeding as well. I have seen it used on this site to imply parent to offspring breeding as opposed to sibling to sibling breeding.

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    In horses it's called "linebreeding", lol. [​IMG] [​IMG]

-Kathy

7. connerhills

connerhills Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2009
    I believe in peafowl line breeding refers to using two or more lines with the same gene that your trying to establish .. It takes about 7 generations to change some of a blood line. If you keep going back and back the same way, in time it will lead to low fertility, bad conformation, more crooked legs and more bad traits than good ones.. This info might be on line somewhere as I have seen it described in the proper way to line breed fowl. george

8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    And it's probably meant to be the same for all species, I was just trying to be funny, lol. [​IMG]

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by