India Blues all look alike, are they boys or girls? PIC HEAVY

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by Germaine_11.20, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    I bought 7 peachicks and they are about 3 & 1/2 months old now. I can only tell one of them apart and I am pretty sure she is a girl.
    I have read the other posts about how to tell the sex, but I really need someone else to help. They all look alike to me.
    When I bought them, the seller said he thought at least one was a male. I look and see all boys and one girl.
    I would really appreciate your advise. Thank you!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Pavo Royale

Pavo Royale Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2009
    Gainesville, GA
    Bottom pic. 3 boys, 2 girls, 1 unknown. Front row boy, milddle row girls, back row boys. Unknown is far right, looks like girl.

Very nice looking group. Older than 3 1/2 months.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  3. Germaine_11.20

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    Thank you Pavo, I appreciate the way you pointed each one out so that I can learn.

The breeder said they were born July 4th. How old do you think they are?

4. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Check the flight feather males will have rust color one, looks like some spalding in the birds also.

5. Germaine_11.20

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    Quote:I hate to ask this but where are the flight feathers. Are they the long ones on the bottom ?

6. deerman

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    the outside wing feathers, spalding hens will also have more green,and some have barring on the back. The hens are losing the bars older they get ,the more they will lose

7. ducks4you

ducks4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    East Central Illinois
    Can't help--just had to post to say how beautiful your birds are! Can't have any, myself--I know someone who has, and hers attack her horses--BIG problem at my place. Sorry to hijack [​IMG]

8. Germaine_11.20

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    Thank you. I always wanted Peacocks. These are just the sweetest too. I purchased them for---$5 dollars apiece! I can't believe I was so fortunate. Thank you Deerman for explaining. I am going out to take a better look.

9. deerman

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    GREAT deal, peafowl eggs sell for alot more than that.

10. Germaine_11.20

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    I know! I bought quite a few, but only one out of all of them hatched. I just can't get it right with incubating them.

I will try next year with Broodies.

The same people are breeding their White Peacocks to the India Blues. I hope to get some next year. They sold a mated pair for 25 dollars. I missed that one.

We have someone (don't know who) but they let their peacocks run along the highway. I have seen at least 5 dead full grown males. I just want to cry. They free range in the fields and they must have at least 100.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by