India offers cash incentives for girls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
It depends on what the person in the countries religion is. If they're Hindu, they don't eat cows because it is a sacred animal to them. For any other religion, it's usually okay.

Last edited:
Quote:
the Hindus do not eat cows (I don't know if all of them do not eat beef), yes, but not everyone in India is Hindu. There are many Christians, Muslims and various other faiths, all are guilty of historical masagonism in their own rights as well, and would not be surprised that native born and raised people in India of other faiths follow this practice as well.

just as, in parts of Africa and the middle east, even small Christianized groups practice female mutilation (changed for content), because it is ingrained in their culture.

Last edited:
I have 2 indian friends who graduated this year. They moved hear two years ago along with their whole family. They are vegetarians cause they said that most of the food there is veggies and rarely do people eat meat in general. (don't know if that's true) Also they have states like we do, They have a language for the whole country then each individual state has theirs, they taught me some of it and I thought it was arabic (wrighting style). In their school they still teach them the ancient wrightings, I think its sanscript but not sure.

Last edited:
Quote:
It is not unusual that many Hindu people are vegetarian because many of the strict Hindus do not believe in harming animals.

we have Hindu people on the forum, maybe they can explain it better than I can.

Last edited:
Quote:
It is not unusual that many Hindu people are vegetarian because many of the strict Hindus do not b eliev in harming animals.

I think the eat goats, sheep. I was watching ice road truckers (when they went to india) and there were several goat farmers. Probably for milking but they looked like meat goats.

Quote:
It is not unusual that many Hindu people are vegetarian because many of the strict Hindus do not b eliev in harming animals.

I think the eat goats, sheep. I was watching ice road truckers (when they went to india) and there were several goat farmers. Probably for milking but they looked like meat goats.

not all are vegetarians.

just like not all Buddhist are vegetarians

No, this is not the same country that refuses to eat cows! A country, is a political construct. It doesn't have a diet, and it doesn't eat.

There are a good many people in India, who don't eat beef due to longstanding traditions connected with the Hindu religion, though today, that is being followed less and less by younger generations. In some areas it is still common, in others, no.

How that has anything to do with this is beyond me. I think it's pointless to try to draw some sort of parallel between dietary traditions and the very ancient and longstanding tradition of preferring boy children and acting on that in various ways - something that has been a part of almost every culture in the world since time began. It's just as much a problem in China and many other countries as it is in India - and a good many Chinese have no tradition against eating beef. One doesn't have anything to do with the other.

Countries vary in how successful they are in effectively ending various traditions. And almost every group in the world, has a mishmash of traditions, some that seem kind to us and some that do not.

Putting women at a disadvantage is something that all countrie's governments bear a burden of controlling and trying to fight it.

For example, in the US, certain groups still marry off girls who start marital relations under the age of 12, and regularly avoid the authorities.

Last edited:
It sounds like that India is having the same issue that China had about 20 plus years ago with their one child policy. Lots of infantacide, especially girls. China is now paying the price for that with succeeding generations growing up where men outnumber women 20 to 1 in some areas. The positives are that it has curtailed Chinas population boom. India needs to have some sort of policy to curtail their population, especially since 60% of their country lives in poverty.
As for the country's Hindu beliefs, they are very complex. While it is true some Hindu believers do not eat Cow(as in the female of the species), however male cattle are eaten as they are not held in spiritual regard. Some Hindus are vegetarian yes, but not all of them are. I have some Indian friends, but they are Muslim, and I have talked them at length about the customs of their country when it comes to the role of women within their society. It is very different in many ways to what we think is appropriate. Their society is very family oriented, one friend showed me a picture of their house in Bombay(Mumbai).....it was a city block and 6 stories high. Their entire extended family lived in the house, different individual families on each floor with communal areas on the first floor..kitchen etc....

China had about 20 years ago?!!?!?!?!

China has had that problem way, way back into history. And still does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom