Indian Runner, 2 y/o not walking

CarmenNebe

In the Brooder
8 Years
Hoping there is someone out there who has heard/treated this:
My 2 y/o Indian Runner duck daisy has shown problems walking, she would walk a few steps then sit down. It started yesterday morning and got worse during the day. When she was walking her bottom end was down on the earth instead of up as usual. I suspected she could be Egg bound. I gave her several warm baths which seemed to help relax. She was alert, eating and drinking and also making her usual chatting noises.
I put her in a lge box with straw, access to food and water over night and in the morning a found an egg but she can still not walk. Any idea? Appreciate your response.

First, let me say you have a beautiful runner. And now my take on it. It honestly just might be a standard leg injury. I've had ducks with it (usually pekins because of how they're made). I hope it's not any more serious. At least it's a duck and you don't have to worry about Merek's. The only thing I say is let it heal naturally and check this thread to see if somebody else has replied.

Keep up with the warm baths it takes pressure off the legs and back, there just maybe another egg working it's way down the channel. Keep her as quiet as possible till you know for sure, sometimes a nerve can get pinched and it can take a few days to work itself out. Sounds like you got on top of it fast and happy to hear she laid an egg, she looks like a sweetie, another thing to watch for, depression going off feed generally not her self which can signal infection, as long as she acts normal eating drinking and chatting those are all good signs. Take a look at her bottom too, make sure her vent looks normal and please keep us updated on how she is doing.

Last edited:
thank you so much for your response. I checked the legs by turning the duck on her back, pressing gently against the foot and there was good response, so if a leg was injured she would most likely just let it drop. I have read about Niacin deficiency but that is in ducklings. With my Daisy it looks as if it was from the hips. Well thanks anyway and there is no Duck doctor here can only hope and pray.

good news today,
I administered some extra Niacin (Vitamin B), gave her another warm bath (20 mins in the laundry tub) and when I took her outside, she was walking yayyyyyyy!!!! only a few steps though but what an improvement. I am very happy about it.
That is great news!!! keep up with what your doing till you see full recovery. and don't let her over do..
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom