Indian Runner and Brooding Help Please

Southofboston2

Hatching
May 17, 2016
Hi All,

I have two ducks and a drake born last July. The ducks began laying in February and haven't missed a day since. They stopped going back to the protected shed at night once the pond filled and have been nesting around the pond area. Two of their nests were raided and each time they moved the nest so I typically leave the newest eggs and pick up the previous days so they'll keep using the same nest that is in a good location. Last week they began to act broody so I left the eggs to see if they would sit full time. Each day they would sit for longer and longer periods and share the stint, taking turns sitting while the other went for a swim and a bite. In the last few days, they began leaving lots of feathers and down on the nest and have only left it at night when all three are seen together in the pond. The problem is, they are still laying and adding eggs to the nest each day and It now has 20 to 22 eggs.

Will these ducks ever go into full broody? If the do, should I fear, only the fist eggs will hatch before the rest are abandoned? Should I remove the most recent eggs once production stops or should I remove them all at some point?

Any and all advise appreciated.
Thank you

If their nest has been raided in the past, what is stopping something from raiding while they are sitting and taking the girls as well?

I'd start marking the eggs and take out the oldest each day so there aren't so many eggs if they do decide to plop down and brood to hatch. If their nest is full of their feathers, they might start truly sitting.
Are both still laying eggs, or maybe just one?

Thanks for your prompt and helpful reply. Coyote prints identified the prior preditor egg raid and though I've since fenced off this area down to the pond, I remain nervous for their safety. I also use several Niteguard lights on either side of the nest. I've placed a floating island in the pond and a private coup next to the pond, but they refuse to use either and I can not capture them to put them in at night. I've had success rounding them up and scooting them back into the hen house against their will, but the drake has become very abusive to the hens and he's not fearful of the roos at all. Then there is the matter of the nest. I've read they shouldn't be moved?

They do appear to both be laying at least as of yesterday. They lay two different color eggs and the numbers increase by two each day. One or both have been sitting on nest all day today so not sure if they count has increased.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom