Indian Runner Cut beak

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jenny7609, Dec 1, 2013.

1. jenny7609

jenny7609 New Egg

Dec 1, 2013
    Newcastle
    Hi all, I went out to the ducks this morning and the drake had a cut/slice on the top of his beak from the nostril to nearly the end of his beak.. not sure how. I am wondering if it will heal? What can i do other than put fresh water to stop infections?

reluctant to take to the vets as last time they tried to put my last female down through no good justified reason

thanks!!

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Welcome to the Duck Forum, jenny7609

Is it bleeding? Can you get us a photo?

Meanwhile, I would say from just your description, this may not be difficult to handle. How deep is the cut?

In any case, I would either get some Vetericyn (pricey, but worth it if you can afford it) antimicrobial spray and spray the cut four or five times today, then three or four times the next few days, then twice a day till it's mostly healed up. I would follow that the first week with a smear of antibiotic ointment - no painkiller due to toxicity concerns - at least once in the morning and once at night.

If you cannot swing the Vetericyn (I have to mail order it, no one around here carries it), make a saline solution - 1/4 teaspoon of salt per cup of water. Ideally, get a clean sprayer, baby syringe (not the needle, the plunger part), and spritz the wound with that.

In addition, I would give poultry vitamins with electrolytes every other day for a week, just to boost the immune system.

Please keep us posted.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by