1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Indian Runner Drake

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by tia, Apr 8, 2012.

1. tia

tia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    Candled all my runner duck eggs today and none of them seem to be fertile. My drake is 4 years old. I have 1 drake with four females. Two of the females were laying eggs and I started several from both in the incubator... none of them seem to be fertile. Usually they are fertile this early. Anyone have any ideas what is going on. Is he getting too old.

2. cskotek

cskotek Chillin' With My Peeps

He might just be too old. Did you see them getting it on or are you just thinking they did because maybe they never actually did it o.o

3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    What's his current diet? Are they breeding in water?

4. tia

tia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    He is four years old. I got him as a 1 year old from Holdereads. The last three years my eggs have all been fertile in the spring. I have him with four females that adore him. I saw him mating with one of them the other day. I only have two laying eggs right now, so maybe he is being choosy... I'm not sure. Like I say all of the eggs have been fertile in the past. He is eating the same food as usual Duck and Goose Maintenance. Then I give them peas, greens, and things during the week.

5. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I would wait until summer before I got too concerned. However, he may be at that age now where his fertility just isn't there anymore

6. cskotek

cskotek Chillin' With My Peeps

Agreed

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by