Indian Runner Drakes Fighting Each Other

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by maggiew, Apr 12, 2017.

1. maggiew

maggiew New Egg

Apr 12, 2017
    Maine
    I have two Indian Runner drakes, no females, they live with my chickens and are almost a year old. I got them together unsexed last spring hoping for two females but ended up with two males. Everyone has been living happily together until this week. Spring is in the air and I guess the boys are feeling frisky. They are generally well behaved when not near water, and they are good and don't harass the chickens, but when they are in or near water they immediately start biting and trying to drown each other. As soon as they come out of the water they are pals again. Is this something they will stop doing? Or now that it has begun will they continue to be aggressive towards each other? I'm trying to decide if I can keep them as pets who double as insect control or if they would be better off rehomed. Thanks!

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    If you want to keep them try and limit their water time, water is where most ducks mate so they probably feel that urge and need to release all that tension some how. But I would not keep those boys with your chickens even if you haven't seen them trying to mate with them. All if would take is one time and most likely you'll have a dead hen or more.

I don't think they will drown each other but it can sure look like it. Have they hurt each other with their craziness?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  3. maggiew

maggiew New Egg

Apr 12, 2017
    Maine
    Thanks! They haven't hurt each other yet, but yesterday they were being so wild I feel like it might just be a matter of time. Everyone free ranges during the day, the chickens tend to stay together and the ducks have been seeking out any flooded areas from the melting snow, I haven't brought their pool out yet.

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    You could always get them some ladies, 3 or more each.. [​IMG]

5. maggiew

maggiew New Egg

Apr 12, 2017
    Maine
    I love them because they are so silly and friendly. They love to play with my dog. But I'd have to build a bigger/separate coop for all of those girls! [​IMG]

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Well it's spring perfect time to get started. [​IMG] No enabling going on here right? [​IMG]

7. maggiew

maggiew New Egg

Apr 12, 2017
    Maine
    HA HA HA! Nope, no enabling at all! [​IMG]

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by