1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Indian Runner duck and Pekin Duck?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DuckLover179, Nov 28, 2010.

1. DuckLover179

DuckLover179 Waddles & Puddles

Nov 28, 2010
    California
    I am getting my ducks soon and I am deciding on a breed. I LOVE Pekins, so I was going to get two, but I am worried about confusing them (We are getting two females)! And I was thinking about getting 1 Pekin, and 1 Black Runner duck From Metzer farms.

http://www.metzerfarms.com/BirdInformation.cfm?Breed=Black Runner&BirdType=Duck&ID=BLKR&CustID=176509

Thats the Black runner. I was wondering, should I get 2 Pekins, or 1 Pekin & 1 Black runner duck? [​IMG]

Thanks! [​IMG]

2. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    or you could get two black runners...[​IMG] [​IMG] If you decide to get the two pekins you could band them (nothing more than a loose colored zip tie on there leg) so you would no witch ones witch

3. DuckLover179

Nov 28, 2010
    California
    Are Black runners better than Pekins??? [​IMG]

4. duckluv

duckluv Overrun With Chickens

Aug 20, 2010
    Ohio
    Quote:That depends on your plans. What do you want them for?

5. DuckLover179

Nov 28, 2010
    California
    When they are full grown ducks I plan on having a chain link enclosure outside in the backyard for them. We have a huge backyard, so they will have space, and protection from predators. I will have them for egg laying, but they will also be a social "Pet" for the family. We live pretty close to neighbors (Luckily they don't complain about our loud dog, so I think a loud duck would be fine too). So, What breed do you think would work best? [​IMG]

6. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    I have never owned pekins, but from my experience my black runner was always the friendliest and more social out of the bunch, so my vote is runner. [​IMG]

7. duckluv

Aug 20, 2010
    Ohio
    Quote:Hmmmmm...Runners are great layers, but aren't that social. Welsh Harelquins are good layers and pretty social. Moscovies are large, so they need some space, they are mainly quiet, and a real lap duck, I don't know about how they lay.

8. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Pekins 'should' be a more laid back friendly duck, but the girls I think are also louder than the runner.
    Runner girls are noisy. My girls are social. Don't like to be picked up, but they run to me and hang out with me no problem. I only have 3 though. If you have a small number and spend time with them as they are growing, they will be social. Runners will likely lay more eggs - in theory. Going to be duck dependent regardless.

I have 6 acres. My neighbor has 6 acres. Her mom lives next to her on 6 acres. My neighbor's mom can hear our girls when they start quacking. The lots are really wide, but still, 500+ feet away, they are heard easily. Lucky for us/them, the ducks aren't quacking all the time unless they are having a loud day.

I still want my pekin, but it just might have to be a male as I'm not sure if I want another loud mouth here!!
    I think you'll be happy with either.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
  9. DuckLover179

Nov 28, 2010
    California
    Quote:Hmmmmm...Runners are great layers, but aren't that social. Welsh Harelquins are good layers and pretty social. Moscovies are large, so they need some space, they are mainly quiet, and a real lap duck, I don't know about how they lay.

So are Pekins social? I'm thinking about just going with 2 pekins. I have heard good things about them on www.liveducks.com If you read the "Duckling Diary" Page, they were growing pekins. So, I'm just wondering if the Pekins are social, Because I know they are great egg layers

10. duckluv

Aug 20, 2010
    Ohio

So are Pekins social? I'm thinking about just going with 2 pekins. I have heard good things about them on www.liveducks.com If you read the "Duckling Diary" Page, they were growing pekins. So, I'm just wondering if the Pekins are social, Because I know they are great egg layers

Yes, they are social. I had some that would run up to me and eat out of my hands, but they didn't lay as much as some other breeds do. But that just could be my weather, it's COLD here right now!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by